CEO to Workers: I May Fire You if Obama Wins

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Scataphagos, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Right, only try telling that to the naive posters here. They actually think altruism toward complete strangers without any strings attached exists. And worse, they think the government is the epicenter of said altruism and are willing to spend my tax dollars in an all-out attempt to prove that hypothesis beyond all reason.

Hence, my need to reiterate the fact that, yes, people look out for their own best interest first, last and always. Maybe saying it for the millionth time will finally get it through their thick skulls to their pea brains.

#41     Oct 13, 2012
  2. Ricter

Ricter

Does returning a complete stranger's wallet without any strings attached qualify?

#42     Oct 13, 2012
  3. No, you do it because you want to feel good about yourself.

Heck, even I've done that.

#43     Oct 13, 2012
  4. Ricter

Ricter

Then altruistic behavior between complete strangers is not only possible, it could be fairly common.

#44     Oct 13, 2012
  5. It's not altruistic, it's self-serving with the payoff being a psychological one, as well as the potential future payoff of having the favor returned.

#45     Oct 13, 2012
  6. Ricter

Ricter

Practically speaking that's close enough. The rest is rhetoric.

#46     Oct 13, 2012
  7. You do not seem to have gotten the point. Did you read the second paragraph?

#47     Oct 13, 2012
  8. Most people do it. I have done it every time, not only to feel good, but also to avoid feeling bad and corrupting my soul, in addition to pleasing and avoiding the anger of the biggest guy in case he exists.

Note that one gives back more than the wallet for free, such as the time spend returning the wallet, and the giving of real-life lesson on morality to the wallet owner.

To be good is part of human nature!

#48     Oct 13, 2012
  9. Disagree.

There are plenty of examples of Corporations and people (and politicians) caring about others with zero regard of anything in return.

#49     Oct 13, 2012

10. People, yes!

Unless you are a Romney, Corporations are not people!

#50     Oct 13, 2012