Censorship on Elitetrader?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Vinny Gigante, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I thought that if our account options allowed users to select whether not they would want a profanity filter activated in their own account, then those who are offended would be relieved of exposure to the outright words, and those who don't mind wouldn't need to hear complaints about it. As with the Ignore List it would allow each user to set his own standards for what he is or isn't willing to have to see.

Guess what, politicians and the rest do use swear words in public, every once in a while they get caught off their guard. You know why "we don't hear them" use these words? Because television bleeps or mutes them out, thereby sparing the public image of these big fat hypocrites.

Well, television and radio bleeping out swear words is censorship. And maybe in certain circumstances censorship is more beneficial than harmful.

On the other hand, maybe we should let the politicians and teachers and preachers and other creature features go unbleeped, and let them be seen for what they really are.

Nixon: Henry, you know these < expletive deleted > people are really making me < expletive deleted > want to < expletive deleted >

Kissinger: Yes, Mr. President, they really are a < expletive deleted > thing

Nixon: Get me that < expletive deleted > < expletive deleted> on the < expletive deleted > line! I'm going to < expletive deleted > his < expletive deleted >.

Kissinger: Perhaps our friend could find the < expleted deleted > You know the ones.

Nixon: Where is that < expletive deleted > < expletive deleted > with the < expletive deleted > papers? This < expletive deleted > business is going to be a < expletive deleted > pain in the < expletive deleted >

#51     Jan 13, 2003
  2. I Don't think there's much on this board at all. I think that , In addition, I really feel that, , Sure Baron might be a but so what? Freely saying whatever you want is very important , like the way so, in conclusion I think it's totally wrong of some posters to even bring up the subject of censorship. I just doesn't exist here.

Sincerely,

:D

#52     Jan 13, 2003
  3. I would describe this as a private conversation, not a public one, regardess of the means by which the transcripts were obtained.

Other content that should be removed are posts that contain sexually explicit images or text, excessive or crude profanity, malicious personal attacks, or similar content that is clearly inappropriate.

The above is from the moderators guide. I recognize that there are those who will argue that words such as "sh*t" and "f*ck" are not "excessive or crude profanity." I think they are. I censor them.

Does being a trader mean that you don't have decency, discretion, self-control, and regard for others? Because I am a trader, should I expect to be exposed to vulgar language posted on a website designed to be a resource for traders? I don't get the connection there. Traders are more profane and vulgar than other people? Is that it?

Posting profanity is not even spontaneous. You see a sports player say it on TV, or a coach in the heat of the contest, and your sense of decency is still offended, but you try to justify the action because of the spontaneity of the situation. But the same does not apply to posting. One doesn't spontaneously type "IB f*cked me again today".

:(

#53     Jan 13, 2003
  4. Andre

Andre

metooxx: All censorship is bad

Quote from LongShot: no it isn't

metooxx: And why might that be?

Well, take this silly thread... it detracts from the subject matter. Which is trading. A discussion on censorship can be good for a community. But look at how even that strayed onto some pseudo discussion on religion and history. The point is, if you want to attract good traders and create a good environment for discussion of a well defined topic. Going off-topic doesn't do much for the place.

Optional, most communities have what you suggest. It might not be formal, but it's there. Since a community like this isn't a true democracy, it doesn't need to be formal.

What most regular members of a community don't realize is that a host really has few powers available to them. Delete isn't as powerful as it might seem. It's much better to have the community behind you. The "checks and balance" of a community is indeed it's volume and vocality... you don't need a board for that.

André

#54     Jan 13, 2003
  5. there is always yhoo for the lower classed people to express themselves. no rules over there. but of course it wouldn't be any fun then would it?

#55     Jan 13, 2003
  6. Baron has provided forums called Trading and Futures and Options and Technical Analysis and Strategy Trading for trading-related discussions.

"Feedback

Tell us what you think about this site. How can we improve it? Also, post any issues you run across like broken links or other site-related problems. "

This was copied from the Forums page. Like the forums under Community Lounge, it provides a means to discuss topics other than trading with members of the trading community.

#56     Jan 13, 2003
  7. Those private conversations can easily be found on the internet, so are they really private anymore?

#57     Jan 13, 2003
  8. I didn't meant to imply at all that the Nixon tapes were not private conversations. My intent was to point out that the same politicians who may maintain a wholesome public image devoid of swearing, when they're behind closed doors often turn out to be something else entirely. It involves the issue of hypocrisy.

Of course, those tapes, in their public form, were examples of blatant censorship. Nixon himself never actually said "expletive deleted". That was the work of censors.

So, um, how's everyone doing today? :cool:

#58     Jan 13, 2003
  9. I Like using f*ing profanity....it keeps me warm...
    What I can't understand is why some posters can't use F#%!
    of Sh#t or D%#khead....sure, it all means the same, but it's less offensive to all.....it's kind of like cinamax on Friday nights....Sure they could show the whole thing and the penetration, but sometimes watching shannon Tweed give a fake b.j is just as good as the real thing!!:D :D :D

#59     Jan 13, 2003
  10. Point taken, but you know what I mean. :) And I cannot imagine that Nixon envisioned an internet and/or the extent of it in his day. I suspect that at most his taped conversations would be buried in the archives witht those of the rest of the presidents that go largely unread by the masses.

H(and a lot of vowels), I agree with you there. But I'd like to offer one thing, albeit Biblically-related, about private v public. When Job was beset with all the problems by Satan, the writer made it a point to say that Job never cursed the Lord with his lips. To me, that says that God recognizes that as humans we are going to fuss and fume internally with our struggles. Fine. But it becomes a problem when that fussing and fuming becomes external, because we are no longer setting a God-like or Christ-like example.

My point above is to respond to the idea of hypocrisy... and I recognise also that I am off-topic.

:)

#60     Jan 13, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.