Censorship on Elitetrader?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Vinny Gigante, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. for responding to this topic. I appreciate the feedback. It appears the results are in and the majority feel this board is purposefully censored with good intentions, and not over-sensored at all.

Censorship is a sensitive issue, and the people in charge seem to be doing a fine job of keeping this message board clean, without overstepping.

Bravo!

Usually, when I speak no one listens, but it just goes to show that everyone deserves a 2nd chance!

Vinny

#41     Jan 12, 2003
  2. You, like most of the German people after World War II, are under no great delusions about what Hitler was about.

Perhaps after World War III you will be as clearsighted about Bush. For now, you're more or less in the same role as the average Germans (and many Americans too) in the 1930's who chose to believe that surely he couldn't really be all that bad.

#42     Jan 12, 2003
  3. These words have entered common usage amongst adults and are therefore not a grounds for censorship...

#43     Jan 13, 2003
  4. Agree ...

#44     Jan 13, 2003
  5. As this quote is in reference to the f word and s word, I must strongly disagree. Common or not, they are offensive language, indecent, and add nothing to any conversation or discussion. Indeed, they detract and distract from intelligent exchange.

:(

#45     Jan 13, 2003
  6. Obscenity filters are common features on chatrooms. On Yahoo you can set your chatroom options for varying degrees of filtering (Lots of swear words on Yahoo for sure).

The Ignore List on Elite Trader is an effective remedy for some of the censorship issues people have mentioned. Perhaps a profanity filter would be an enhancement that some members would appreciate, and would reduce the concerns about needing censorship, if people could set filters according to their own preferences.

#46     Jan 13, 2003
  7. Filters:

Is it really less offensive to see "freaking" than "fucking?"

How silly people are about words.

The profanity and obscenity is in the intention of a word, not in the words themselves.

#47     Jan 13, 2003
  8. nitro

nitro

Who? Who used these words here on ET?

Shame on them.

nitro

#48     Jan 13, 2003
  9. True and yet, when you hear someone say "freaking", doesn't your mind say to you, 'this person is substituting "freaking" for the other because it is not considered offensive and vulgar speech?'

And when you hear someone say "f" this or "f" that, are you telling me that your mind doesn't wince at least just a bit? While these kinds of words might be acceptable in private, there is no place for their general use in the public domain.

You don't hear your government representatives using these types of words in public. You don't hear corporate leaders doing so either. You don't hear teachers, or pastors, or community leaders of any type use these types of words when speaking to the public. I cannot imagine one responsible parent who advocates and encourages the use of this type of language by their children.

And when you are posting in the forums on ET, you are speaking to the public.

#49     Jan 13, 2003
  10. True, politicians and others do not use profanity on camera.

However, this site is for traders, right? Not just the general public. I doubt that anyone is under the age of 17, and show me a movie that is for people over the age of 17 (rated R) that doesn't have profanity. Do traders use profanity when the market goes against them? Some do, some don't, but in a room with other traders, I can't imagine they don't hear it from time to time.

Profanity has a point if not used constantly. When someone says "fuck" it conveys a message, a message that we all truly understand.

#50     Jan 13, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.