Cell phones to gain wireless access to Brokerage Account

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 2ez, Sep 18, 2008.

1. 2ez

2ez

I am with Sprint. Looking for suggestions on a particular phone to use to gain access to my account.

I don't know if I should be looking for a particular feature and wanted to ask this before I go into the store to pick the phone out.

Thanks in advance.

2. Baywolf

Baywolf

I tethered my sprint phones for use as modem. Treo 755p and BlackBerry 83xx both work on Sprint. Dial out #777

3. Baywolf

Baywolf

^ for clarification on my last post, I'm still unsure of how to actually tether my blackberry via USB cable. I am actually using bluetooth DUN (dial up networking), which works, but the phone doesn't charge while in use. Sure I can plug the USB while using bluetooth, just wish I knew how to use dial-up via USB also.

4. rspst14

rspst14

Are you looking for more of a traditional phone, or do you want something like a Blackberry? I'm also with Sprint and I just picked up a Sanyo Katana Eclipse. Very nice phone, easy to use, and tons of features. I looked at getting a Blackberry, but everyone I talked that had one told me that the call quality wasn't as good, and that I should look elsewhere if I didn't need to use the smart phone features on a daily basis. Regardless of which phone you pick, you'll need to add at least the $15 data package to your plan if you don't already have it.

5. TylerD

TylerD

I use e-Trade's own software for Blackberry (8703, about 24 months old).
    I can toggle between charts in a web browser, and
    the native trading application.

bb is great for data, lousy for voice. I'm on Sprint.

I'd recommend finding a borker which offers a native bb trading program.

6. If you are with Ameritrade, there is a nice native client for blackberry that you can try MarketSimplified for Ameritrade, other than that thinkorswim has java app that will run on BB, but not as good as a native app for certain.

7. 2ez

2ez

Thanks for the replies .....

keep them coming......totally new to the smart phones so please share your experiences, suggestions and comments.

8. 2ez

2ez

I just sent the forms to open an Etrade account. Not sure how long it is going to take to open, because I had to get a letter from Compliance to open my account at another BD.

How has Etrade been with your Blackberry ? I see you have to downloan something before accessing your accounts.

9. TylerD

TylerD

I went to some simple, special URL like
    mobile.etrade.com on my bb and downloaded the app direct to my bb.

I can build and save various watchlists, enter orders, have confirmation alerts sent to my bb address so it vibrates in my hand to confirm execution.

My biggest concerns are

1 No options views or analytics, though I could still strade options if I knew the ticker

2 No charting. quote.com gives it for free for mobile, but delayed 15 min.

3 Data can sometimes get stale, esp if I ride subways and elevators during the day. A sure fix to reboot the app (no need o reboot the phone) but the app can get confused if I'm logged in but timed out.

It's obviously not as good as a 4 PC 16 screen workstation environment, but it's 10 times better than calling 1-800-liquidate from a payphone.

etrade might give you a 'free' phone -- could save you $200, look for online offers.

10. 2ez

2ez

Etrade looks good on the Blackberrry Curve (Sprint) .

Quotes are delayed and I am still trying to figure out how to set my alerts.

I opened the account and will transfer funds next week. Maybe the realtime quotes and alerts will work then.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

#10     Oct 1, 2008