CELG on sale??

Discussion in 'Options' started by TheBigShort, Nov 29, 2018.

1. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

I have not wrote anything beneficial on this site for a little while + I would like some feedback, so I thought I'd write a little report on CELG and a position I have been loading up on over the past week.

I was initially skeptical with taking a position in CELG because EVERYONE is bullish on the company.
    Stocktwits - 95% bullish
    Oppenheimer - "We see a double in the stock price"
    Seeking Alpha has many bullish papers on CELG
    sentiment.PNG
    sent2.PNG
    Company Description

Celgene Corporation is a global biopharmaceutical company. The Company focuses on the discovery, development, and commercialization of therapies designed to treat cancer and immune-inflammatory related diseases.

The company has been taking a beating due to a few drug failures (won't get into detail), we also have the Bio-pharma sector taking a beating over the past 6 months.

Current low multiples vs historical are grabbing attention from some "value" investors on the street.
    P/EBITDA = 9.8
    P/FCF = 11.22
    ROE = 39.3%
    P/B = 10.1 <- Looks high but it's because ROE is high and is expected to be at 62% by 2019.

about 2 weeks ago I started looking into CELG from technical stand point. CELG closely follows a few fundamentals very closely: Free Cash Flow, BookValue and ROE. Side note** EV and MKT cap currently have the largest spread between them since inception.
    sent3.PNG

So my next step was to see how well the analysts are able to predict these fundamentals into the future, specifically for CELG. Then create a regression model to predict what the future stock price should be given the ROE, BookVal and FCF.

fcf.PNG

ROE and BookVal were very similar and EPS Ests vs Actual had the least variance where analysts almost always guess the actual value with near perfect accuracy.
    Lastly the final step before creating the model was to see how these estimates change over time. Are analysts constantly changing their estimate by a large amount? If YES, then their current estimates have no real value to us TODAY.
    eps.PNG
    roe.PNG

The estimates do vary but not by a LARGE amount. We can safely use the estimates.

The Model
    Market Cap ~ FCF + ROE + BookVal
    adjusted R^2 of .79. Data goes back to 2000 & data is subsetted to only include time when book value was positive (6 quarters were removed)
    I Plugged in the estimates for Annual 2019 and the we get a MKT of 112 B. The current MKT cap is 50B. OBVIOUSLY this is nuts right?! 120% gain in 14 months? Yea right!

Of course there was a lot of fundamental research I did as well both positive and negative. However fundamentals are not fun to talk about.

So I took a look at the options market For end of JULY 2019 and started accumulating the 80/85 Calls. Currently AVG cost for the 80 calls are 3.87 and 2.72 for the 85's.

Maybe I am just writing this so you guys will go out and buy CELG. LOL. But seriously i think there is a good risk reward here.
    LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK!!!!!!!

2. srinir

srinir

Is it possible to post EV/EBITDA ratio chart?

3. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

Ahhh, I just left 15 min ago!! I'll post it tomorrow with the 1 and 5 year forecasts. In the mean time stockrow.com can give you some sketchy data.
    https://stockrow.com/CELG/snapshots/cash_flow just scroll down to the bottom

4. srinir

srinir

nvm. I am back also. It is appealing from valuation perspective Snap1.png

5. vanzandt

vanzandt

Apparently Bristol-Meyers read your post.
    They are buying it for $102/share.
    The news just broke.
    It jumped, but its still $87.05 ask pre-market if anybody feels lucky.

Edit: $87 didn't last lol.
    Be careful jumping in. Watch the price of BMY. Add $50 to that for where actual price should be. Then subtract risk for govt intervention.

Breaking News
    Bristol-Myers and Celgene to Merge in $74 Billion Equity Value Deal
    Bloomberg News
    January 3, 2019, 7:11 AM EST
    [​IMG]

Bristol-Myers Squibb reports it will buy Celgene in a $74 billion equity value deal, Bloomberg News reports.

Celgene shareholders will receive 1 Bristol-Myers share and $50 cash for each share of Celgene they hold.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  6. srinir

srinir

Yes. Congrats. I also had small position piggy backing your idea.

vanzandt likes this.
  7. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

Great job guys!! I tried to show as much research as possible so it didn't look like inside information...... I'm kidding :p

vanzandt and srinir like this.
  8. ironchef

ironchef

I took a position after reading your OP. Thank you, the drinks are on me.

But for the New Year, everything else tanked. :(:thumbsdown: :mad:

eo1989 and vanzandt like this.
  9. Look at this DD. Beautiful.

10. ironchef

ironchef

TheBigShort created a great thread on CELG. Right on the money! Let me keep it going:

Still on sale after the merger announcement?

Looking at the prices of CELG, to my untrained eyes, they seemed low compare to the risk the deal may not go through? So, I continue to accumulate more after the January announcement.

Now after reading Bennett's book, I am thinking perhaps there is an arb opportunity with BMY? Can the professionals among us give some advice?

Thank you in advance.

#10     Feb 14, 2019