Celeron vs. Pentium

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pasternak, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Hi,

I am trading automated systems using API Excel. One month ago I bought a new Shuttle barebone PC for travelling. However, by a mistake I bought Celeron instead of Pentium processor. It is Celeron 3,2Ghz with 256kb cache. When running my API the barebone PC is incredible slow. I have another four year old PC with Pentium 2,4 Ghz and 512kb cache, and that one is much much faster. Does anyone know how much difference there is between those processors when running API? Could this be because of the lower cache in the Celeron processor? Or is it the mainboard or anything else? Does anyone have an idea? My CPU is running at or near 100% when running the API.

Any thoughts appreciated.

I am not very knowledgeable with PCs.

2. First thing to do is have a look at the running processes with task manager and see whether it is the Excel app thats consuming all the CPU. It might be something else.

3. If you want to confirm that the performance of the new box is about what is should be, download the free Sandrasoft benchmark tool and run some processor and memory benchmarks. There is a large list of results from other machines to compare with.

4. Thanks for teh reply. I am sure it is the Excel consuming all the CPU. I will check out that program.