Celeron Vs. P4

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rs7, Jan 16, 2003.

1. rs7

rs7

Today I noticed that my computer indeed has the IR driver installed. But no port. So maybe there's the answer. Put in a driver just for fun, use of disk space and frustration with following documentation for us US buyers?

From those wonderful folks that brought you Pearl Harbor (Jerry Della Femina) . Go figure!:confused:

Peace,
    :)Rs7

#81     Feb 24, 2003
  2. It's not a "plug" type of port like a USB or a mouse, it's simply a flat area of plastic (dark red in many instances) that the infra-red is beamed from. It's exactly similar to a TV/VCR/etc. remote control IR "port."

In this picture "Y" is the IR port:

[​IMG]

Note: The IR port can be located anywhere on the unit.

#82     Feb 24, 2003
  3. i don't know if anybody has mentioned it, but keep a look out for those systems with Hyper Threading ( HT ).

HT was built into the design of the P4 but was not enabled until now, and still its only on the 3 Gigahertz and up processors. Basically if you run lots of small apps at the same time, or if your main apps are multithreaded, you can get better performance for the same Gigahertz. This is an edge that the latest and greatest p4's have over the athlons and the celerons.

Up until now I have been running on a 1 Ghz PIII with no problems at all and have seen no reason to upgrade to a P4 because I knew the HT was not enabled, so for my personal use I wouldn't even notice the difference since I rarely max out the cpu except when I am running several apps at the same time. Now I am considering an upgrade to a P4 with HT but only after the prices drop some more, maybe in 6 months.

#83     Feb 24, 2003
  4. rs7

rs7

Thanks Max...I know what you mean....but I have looked at the unit and see nothing that looks like an IR port. I do know what they look like. Palm's have them, and like you say, tv's and remotes have them. But Toshiba support confirmed that the model I have does not have one. Just the driver:confused:

Makes a lot of sense:confused:

Peace,

#84     Feb 24, 2003
  5. They probably have just one OS configuration to load on all units. In the meantime, your wireless printing problem is I think unsolvable. You have a wireless router to the cable modem only, not an actual network. If it was a network you could print to any printer on it. Your going to have to do the floppy or use a printer cable or USB to print.

#85     Feb 24, 2003
  6. rs7

rs7

Seems to be the case....thanks.

Good thing floppies go in the laptop. Not all of the laptops have floppy drives these days. And I rarely print, so it's no big deal. Especially now with the cd/rw, I can store my document folders pretty securely.

Peace,

#86     Feb 24, 2003