Celeron Vs. P4

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rs7, Jan 16, 2003.

1. igsi

igsi

Use www.pricewatch.com to check out prices, and shopper.cnet.com for prices and reviews, then use www.resellerrating.com to decide who to buy from. While buying LCD make sure that brightness (cd/m2 or nits), contrast ratio (xy0:1) and Viewing Angle are as high as you can get with brightness being most important. These two deals look especially good (not too good :) )
    http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=963137&adcampaign=email,CNETSHOPPERPC
    http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?UID=CN-8785728&SCriteria=A10047&bop=and

#21     Jan 17, 2003
  2. Rs7, maybe this article could help you to decide between Celeron or P4.... both for you and the kid :)
    http://www.nationalpost.ca/financialpost/story.html?id={15A4E0E4-09C8-4601-A3D3-E76EC1271EDE}

(... you may have to copy/paste the link)

Cheers !!!:)

#22     Jan 17, 2003
  3. opm8

opm8

Here are my favourite price-checkers:

pricegrabber.com
    froogle.com (brand new, from google.com).

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check to see what things are going for on a price-comparison website before buying at an on-line retailer. You never know what you'll find.

Also, it's a good idea to check ebay.com since you can get a brand new item for way less than somewhere else. I do it all the time.

--opm8

#23     Jan 17, 2003
  4. igsi

igsi

True. However, if you buy from individuals, you do not get receipts you can use in case you need a warranty replacement/repair. As strange as it sounds, but some manufacturers will deny your participation in some of the advanced warranty services if not warranty at all. I personally do not want to battle them for $10-$50 I can save buying on eBay. It would make much more sense buying refurbished goods with 90-day warranty at 30%-50% discount then buying new and essentially non-warranty goods from eBay at negligible discount.

#24     Jan 17, 2003
  5. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

For trading stations we use dell systems. The reasons are tied to the onsite service agreements, support, and their out of the box compatibility for Windows platforms. They are not the least expensive option with respect to purchase price but these other issues end up saving us money. Processor speeds are not that critical for trading stations: we can often buy older processors from dell and just add more memory to achieve our goal. The video cards though are important: we buy the fastest cards that we can afford. For in office use we still buy workstation boxes but we do equip the stations with flatpanel displays: they seem to be easier on the eyes and they save some desk space: the recommendations here on other posts are good ones. In those offices where we allow wireless we use netgear products. Each node is something like 70 - 100 dollars per card and the routers/access points go for 150 - 250 depending upon model. We still do not allow direct wireless lan communication with our corporate networks for security reasons (along with other requirements) ......

#25     Jan 17, 2003
  6. p3 800, here. :( i think i may be using this comp. for a while, too.. :eek:

#26     Jan 17, 2003
  7. nitro

nitro

#27     Jan 19, 2003
  8. i am currently using a dual monitor setup with cheap 16/32mb cards. Can i see/feel the difference when using a 32mb videocard and a 64? if there is big difference i will certainly be switching tomorrow.
    thanks

#28     Jan 19, 2003
  9. i think the difference would be more noticeable in gaming. i don't think that would make much of difference displaying a bunch of charts. maybe someone else knows better..

#29     Jan 19, 2003
  10. gnome

gnome

Save some $$$ and buy 4mb cards. They won't be any different in a trading platform.:D

#30     Jan 19, 2003