Celeron Vs. P4

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rs7, Jan 16, 2003.

1. what is this nk, double-shot thursday:)

i dont know much about laptop prices but that looks like a hellava great price

#11     Jan 16, 2003
  2. rs7

rs7

You would not be the first!!!! Just leave Anna Nicole at your place though. My doors aren't wide enough:)

#12     Jan 16, 2003
  3. Bob111

Bob111

after i read it, i still did not understand-what is you question?
    you use p3 with 20" for typing and email and you not happy with it? it not sending emails fast or what?

WHAT IS THE REASON FOR UPGRADE?

i can understand, if someone say-i can't play SOF2 on P3-it too slow for me...ok... sounds reasonable... some scalper may say-orders did not get submitted fast enough....questionable, but....
    what is you reason?

flat monitors good for static images like stock quotes or for reading newspapers online, but for action games (for example) it total sucks.

and at end-what setup you are talking about? if wireless network-sounds right.
    you can build not wireless network for about $50-70)))))))))
    and share one IP with you son.

#13     Jan 16, 2003
  4. rs7

rs7

Main reason is to get rid of the big screen. Takes up too much space on my desk. So I figured if I got a laptop, that would take care of the screen. If I bought a flat screen monitor, it seemed like the package deals almost give away a new computer....if a flat screen monitor costs, say, $500 or $600, for another $200, I get a whole new computer. And it would be nice to have a cd burner, which my current computer doesn't have. All the new ones seem to. So it seems almost silly not to get a whole new setup.

Make sense?

Also, I can take the 20" to my office and use it for trading. I have a bunch of 17" crts, but nothing stopping me from bringing in my own monitor.

#14     Jan 16, 2003
  5. did u happen to read the article posted by Baron entitled "Hardware"... ? (link at top of page above "your account")

Might be worthwhile as he does a great job. Helped me a lot, as I am also in the market for new equipment.

regards,

Ice:cool:

#15     Jan 16, 2003
  6. Banjo

Banjo

7. rs7

rs7

Thanks Ice..never noticed that before. Makes me glad I work as a prop trader! Too much for me to know:)

:)rs7

#17     Jan 16, 2003
  8. igsi

igsi

For that much money you can get 18 inch flat panel. "Flat screen" is a CRT monitors property.

Not with 18 inch flat panel

There are external ones (USB), not dirt-cheap as internal ones but still inexpensive, $60-$90. That's what I would recommend along with 18 inch flat panel. Want to spend more? Get a bigger screen, say, 19 inch. Your celeron system has a few more years in it.

#18     Jan 16, 2003
  9. rs7

rs7

Yes, I realize I used the wrong term. Flat panel is what I meant. And I didn't expect to get an 18" for that kind of money. A smaller one for sure (especially when thinking of a package including a newer computer).

Thanks,
    Rs7

#19     Jan 16, 2003
  10. gnome

gnome

Hey rs7... haven't talked to you in a while... here's my $.02.
    1. A year ago, I upgraded from PII350 to P4. Virtually ZERO difference in online execution or data receipt.
    2. Was talking to a Toshiba rep at CompUSA couple of weeks back. He said the difference in performance in Celeron vs P4 of same clock speed was only about 10%. I'd thought it larger.
    3. He also said, the newer Celeron MBs were using a 400 Mhz FSB, just like "one notch down from top" P4s... Celeron older ones have 100Mhz.... I have one of the 100 Mhz to run J-Trader and it's fine. Therefore, unless you also plan to use it for high-end gaming, maybe you can save the $$ and go with Celeron.... I would avoid "shared memory" MB's regardless of CPU.

As for LCD monitors... my current favorite, hands down, is the Samsung 172T. 17", about $600. Stylish, slim panel, very sharp and bright. (I haven't seen an 18 or 19" in the "2T" line yet.) Go to CompUSA or Micro Center and compare it to others. It really stands out.

Good luck and good trading. :D

#20     Jan 17, 2003