CDC issues previously unidentified serious threat to public health.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Cuddles, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

this is now a public health threat and not just about politics so it's why it's in this section:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cdc-says-racism-serious-threat-public-health-n1263547

CDC says racism is a 'serious threat' to public health
    “Racism is operating not only with respect to Covid-19 but also with respect to infant mortality, maternal mortality, obesity,” said a past president of the American Public Health Association.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday called racism a “serious threat” to public health, becoming the latest, and largest, U.S.-based health agency to single out racism as having a “profound and negative impact on communities of color” and contributing to disproportionate mortality rates among people of color.

“Confronting the impact of racism will not be easy,” the CDC's director, Dr. Rochelle Walensky, said in a statement published on the agency’s website. “I know that we can do this if we work together. I certainly hope you will lean in and join me.”

In its announcement, the CDC noted that the Covid-19 pandemic has had a disproportionate impact on ethnic groups. The public health agency added that racial minority groups “experience higher rates of illness and death across a wide range of health conditions, including diabetes, hypertension, obesity, asthma and heart disease when compared to their White counterparts.”

Walensky said that in an effort to address racism, the CDC will continue to study the impact of social determinants on health outcomes, expand investments in ethnic minority communities and launch a web portal, “Racism and Health,” aimed at starting a public discourse around the topic.

Other public health agencies and medical organizations have condemned racism in recent months. More than 150 municipalities and state and local health agencies throughout the U.S., as well as the American Medical Association and the American Public Health Association, have made the link between racism and public health issues.

Members of Congress are also calling for structural racism to be recognized as a public health crisis.

The Anti-Racism in Public Health Act — re-introduced in February and co-sponsored by Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., Rep. Barbara Lee, D-Calif. and Rep. Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass. — seeks to address the public health impact of racism by creating two anti-racism programs within the CDC, including a Center on Anti-Racism in Health and a Law Enforcement Violence Protection Program.

Public health officials praised the CDC for its declaration.

“It was a long time coming,” said Dr. Camara Phyllis Jones, a family physician and epidemiologist, and a past president of the American Public Health Association.

“I think this is excellent that racism is being acknowledged and named as a threat to the well-being of the nation,” she said. “Naming racism as a threat as the CDC has done is timely and a bold and necessary and important step.”

Jones worked for the CDC from 2000 until 2014 and, while there, made it a priority to raise awareness of the detrimental impact of racism upon public health.

cesfx likes this.
  2. hilmy83

hilmy83

Poverty is more serious.

3. The media is gaslighting racism for ratings and political brownie points again. Unfortunately, this increasingly fervent behavior by the media is increasing racial tension and resentment that ironically leads to hate crimes based on race. Yes, the media is responsible for the declining race relations we have been seeing since Obama’s terms. Many Whites, men, and the successful felt disenfranchised during Obama’s terms and sought a political alternative. That political alternative was Trump. Hillary with her “Basket of Deplorables” comment was exactly the wrong thing to say among undecideds.

It is too bad we are seeing the media ramp up their toxic racist narrative. Perhaps some day, when some of their own become victims of hate crimes, they will understand that racism effects everybody, not just one particular race and that incitement of such is ultimately against their own best interests.

Unless, of course, an excuse for population control is really what the deep state wants. If this is the case, then it really is more about the rich 1/10th of 1% versus everyone else.

Let’s start our counter move here: Hey, Here4money, want to be my friend and join sides against our scheming, would be oppressors?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  4. Ridiculous. Pure political agenda. Nothing else. Of course nobody is allowed to investigate what the courses of higher death rates and infections are (if at all true). Is it because white people were racist? Or because white doctors refused to hand out vaccines to people of color? That would be racism. What is not racism is if people of color on average disobey public safety orders more than whites. What is also not racism is that certain groups choose specific nutrition or lack thereof. Also everyone has a choice how to take care of their body. But not everyone has a right to have the same amount of money, wealth, access to things that cost money but one can't afford. It all again comes down to the left wanting to create equal outcomes.

Seriously, where is there any racist component in all this? I don't see it. Racism on our university campuses? Where? Women disadvantaged? Where? What cases are there that exceed current cases where white applicants are disadvantaged in job applications because a quota is to be obeyed? Where is racism in covid? Can we stop playing retarded?

STRUCTURAL RACISM. LOL. Laughing my ass off. Where is there structural racism in any North American community? Please show me. Are there individuals who are racist? Sure, I don't like and agree with anything about Chinese culture. But I don't hate Chinese and don't disadvantage them if they fit in. But if they think they can subvert our western values and play little Beijing in our neighborhood then I will oppose and fight against that. Makes me a racist? I don't care. I give everyone equal opportunities who fits into the culture and society they choose to live in. That does not create a structural racist problem. What a fucked up political agenda.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    gkishot, d08 and fan27 like this.
  5. SunTrader

SunTrader

LMMFAO, like Blacks don't have good cause to not trust Whitey. Google black medical experimentation history.

Meanwhile while you are at it look up White Evangelical's resistance to Covid 19 vaccine too.

Religion, which is very important for many Blacks as well, "makes for strange bedfellows".

6. Cuddles

Cuddles

let's not make this political, it's now a public health threat.

trader1974 likes this.
  7. ph1l

ph1l

This should be in politics because the CDC head is a political appointment.

The CDC writes
    https://www.cdc.gov/healthequity/racism-disparities/index.html
    They come to the conclusion different outcomes for different groups is racism without presenting evidence of racism. I think this is an appeal to false authority.
    upload_2021-4-9_20-54-0.png

gkishot likes this.
  8. And herein lies EXACTLY the problem. Some races always look back instead of forward, primarily black and Indigenous people. Do you know what happened to Japanese Americans and Canadians during WWII? They were interned. Do you see a single Japanese American today who moans day in day out? Do you see any of them holding their hands and demanding free handouts that everyone else has to work hard for? No we don't see that. But the fucking left prohibits us from talking about those cultural differences that actually explain 95% of the issues we are today dealing with.

cobco, gkishot and MoreLeverage like this.
  9. Except it's 100% political. Has nothing to do with any serious health threat. If you can provide proof that blacks have genes that cause them to suffer more when covid infected then sure I will reallocate my philanthropic effort. Until then I call out bullshit.

gkishot and d08 like this.
  10. Exactly. Pure politics. No scientific evidence. Questions prohibited. Critical voices silenced or cancelled. I tell you, the left will NEVER succeed with this assault on intelligence. I was much more liberal before but since I moved to North America I am moving further and further into the conservative camp. Yes, there are some real idiots too but I can't agree with policies that are neither grounded in science nor common sense.

#10     Apr 9, 2021