CC and CSP on BTC

Discussion in 'Options' started by Pekelo, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

I expect bitcoin to stay in a fairly wide range, 6K to 9K or so. The point is that it is not going to run up crazy nor will it fall to 3 digits. Assuming I am right and one doesn't really want to time the market, playing covered calls and cash secured puts looks like a no brainer when the premium is this high.

The quoted option premiums are from Deribit. The June ATM calls are 21% of the current price (8K) or around $1690. Puts are a bit lower.

The March expiry ATM calls can be sold for $643. So let's assume one owns 1 BTC and sells the 8K strike. That is about 7% return on the investment in 11 days, if the price stays around 8K or goes up.

If the price drops, at least we are protected up to 7% and will write another call. If it goes way up we will let it go and write cash secured puts. Once we are in cash we wither make money by just letting the price go up and our puts expiring worthless or if price drops, we get to own cheap coins.

So let the forward test begin.

Bought 1 BTC for 8K and sold March 30th calls for $643...

EliteThink likes this.
  2. JackRab

JackRab

You would probably want to buy back the initial short call though... otherwise you will be left hanging in a decent move up.

3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Well, we would let it expiry before we write another one.Depends on how big the move is...

JackRab likes this.
  4. johnmarg1

johnmarg1

I think you would lose if it dropped below the call break even point. If you sold another call it would be below your stock buy point and a loss would occur no matter how much it rose again. If it kept dropping you would be further in the hole if you kept selling calls.

5. Pekelo

Pekelo

For sure. I never said this was a riskless or lossless strategy.

6. Pekelo

Pekelo

BTC went up to 9K, currently around $8500, and the calls can be bought back for $643. So basically the "stock" gained 500 bucks (6% in a week) while the premium stayed the same.

I am going sell the BTC and buy the calls back and sell the cash secured 8500 puts next week expiry for $345.

I could have rolled into the 8500 calls, they are at $290, but let's try the CSP approach.

1st week gain is 6%...

7. Pekelo

Pekelo

BTC tanked below 7K, so I got assigned the coins for 8500, pretty high for the current price, but this experiment is about blindly doing this.

Current price is around 7118, so selling the 7K CC for $348. (Apr 6th expiry)

Had I been an avergae BTC investor, I would be down $900 from the starting price of 8K. Instead of that, thanks to options, I made (643+345+348) although my current holding price is from 8500, I am only down less than a hundred bucks.

The one month expiry 7K calls are almost $700, but this way it is more fun...

8. donnap

donnap

Yes, but you've locked in a loss for now.

8500 - (643+345+348) = 7164

Your short call "sells" the BTC for 7000, if assigned.

That's not say that you can't work your way back to a profit.

GL with the experiment.

9. Pekelo

Pekelo

I know, should have said, more than a hundred bucks.

10. nice, i'd be in but not sure about that firm.

#10     Apr 5, 2018