CBOT Gold Futures Complex Captures 50 Percent Market Share

Discussion in 'Events' started by CBOT, Jun 27, 2006.

1. CBOT

CBOT

For Immediate Release

Media Contact:
    Jennifer Rook
    312-435-3625
    news@cbot.com

CBOT Gold Futures Complex Captures 50 Percent Market Share

CHICAGO, IL, June 26, 2006 – The Chicago Board of Trade (CBOT®) announced today that its 100-percent electronically traded Gold futures complex captured a 50 percent market share in daily volume of listed Gold futures traded in North America for the first time on June 23.

The CBOT’s Gold complex traded 27,700 contracts in Full-sized Gold futures and 8,573 mini-sized Gold futures, for a total daily volume of 36,273 contracts. Month-to-date, the CBOT Gold complex accounts for 44 percent of listed Gold futures traded in North America.

Robert Ray, CBOT Senior Vice President of Business Development, said: “Between depth of liquidity and the marketplace’s preference for speed and straight-through processing made possible by our electronic contracts, the CBOT Gold complex continues to shine. Reaching this threshold is proof that our complex is playing a greater role in metals price discovery.”

The CBOT’s Precious Metals complex consists of Full-sized (100 oz.) Gold futures, Full-sized Gold options, mini-sized (33 oz.) Gold futures, Full-sized (5,000 oz.) Silver futures, Full-sized Silver options and mini-sized (1,000 oz.) Silver futures contracts.

For more information on the CBOT and its Metals complex, please visit www.cbot.com.

About the CBOT
    As one of the leading global derivative exchanges, the Chicago Board of Trade provides a diverse mix of financial, equity and commodity futures and options-on-futures products. Building on its 158-year history, the CBOT continues to advance into the future using the strength of deep liquidity, market integrity and member-trader expertise. Using superior trading technology in both electronic and open-auction trading platforms, the CBOT provides premier customer service to risk managers and investors worldwide. For more information, visit our website at www.cbot.com.

Forward Looking Statements
    In this release, our use of the words “may,” “should,” “could,” “expects,” “plans,” “anticipates,” “believes,” “predicts,” “potential” or “continue” or other comparable terminology is intended to identify forward-looking statements. These statements are not guarantees of future performance and involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions that are difficult to predict. Therefore, actual outcomes and results may differ materially from what is expressed or implied in any forward-looking statements. More detailed information about factors that may affect our performance may be found in filings made by CBOT Holdings, Securities and Exchange Commission, which can be obtained at its website at www.sec.gov. We undertake no obligation to update any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.

2. Congratulations on your success with your new metals complex.

Now you should consider more contracts, namely Aluminium, Copper, Palladium and Platinum.

3. <a href="http://www.nypost.com/seven/06252006/business/i_never_saw_it_coming_business_john_aidan_byrne.htm">never saw it coming... </a>

<a href="http://www.nypost.com/seven/06252006/business/life_after_nyse_business_john_aidan_byrne.htm">whaddawedonow?</a>

4. The electronic platform that the cbot offers is great, I love the fact that they let you see order book. I wonder what the traders on the COMEX are going to do now that their golden goose is slowly getting killed .

5. himself

himself

Steal more and faster to make up the income?

6. TGM

TGM

I heard that they were considering copper.

7. It's nice to see more liquidity coming into the metals markets. The liquidity in 100 oz. Gold futures (symbol ZG) has exploded over the last year, making for some very nice trading opportunities. That particular contract is one of my breadwinners.

I hope to see more liquidity in some of the more obscure metals. For the time being, it would be exciting if the corresponding silver contracts can see a similar growth in volume.

RoughTrader

8. always good to see more retail coming in to give liquidity to the trade.