Cbot Down!!!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by chewbacca, Aug 23, 2007.

1. "......i figured it'd be going down and its too much risk to trade it when you have 100 point moves every 10 minutes so i just traded es......crazy, why is globex so much more stable than ecbot."

there is NO effective risk when you can simply take an opposite position when CBOT is down in either DIA or ES

100 pts moves are GREAT. that's a money making opp

this market has been the best trading market in last 2 weeks i have ever seen. granted i wasn't here during dotcomm days, but i have made more $$$ trading YM in a couple of weeks than i made in previous 2 months.; take it while you can get it. risk minimal. reward massive

#51     Aug 23, 2007
  2. LT701

LT701

i just talked to IB, and they said there was no way to know for sure if my stop executed or not

so........how do you hedge THAT?

when you dont know if your stop executed or not?

#52     Aug 23, 2007
  3. DonKee

DonKee

agreed....the etf's are the cleanest way to hedge. yes, the volatility has been fantastic.

#53     Aug 23, 2007
  4. LT try and talk to someone in compliance at IB to see where those stops sit. If it sits on IB servers then it would not have been executed. Stinks in this day and age they do not have better backup systems. No excuse for an exchange going down period.

#54     Aug 23, 2007
  5. Can they give you your net position? They must be able to do that

#55     Aug 23, 2007
  6. Look at the time the exchange shut down, and look at whether the price had traded at your stop level. If not, you're still in.

OldTrader

#56     Aug 23, 2007
  7. LT701

LT701

8 years ago it would have been standard to have the system failover to a mirrored system

no excuse period for what happened

#57     Aug 23, 2007
  8. empee

empee

i lost $12k thru IB I think about a year or two ago when something similar happened.

"oldtrader" told me to go fuck myself cause IB had such great commissions. (well, essentially he wrote along diatribe about how I was essentially a loser for complaining/making note of this) I see the hypocrite is here again.

Your basically screwed. IB will absolve themselves of any responsibility. If you trading size, you need a real broker.

empee

#58     Aug 23, 2007
  9. IB is not that great when this stuff happens, my broker at a mid tier firm will call me when the exchange goes down and I get email from compliance. I think IB is your problem.

All tht great automation with no support = issues when shit happens.

#59     Aug 23, 2007
  10. Exchange just opened back up. I will not trade it for the rest of today.

#60     Aug 23, 2007