CBOE SPX feed into IB?

Discussion in 'Options' started by TskTsk, Apr 16, 2012.

1. TskTsk

TskTsk

Actually it's been understood now for quite some time. Again, you'd know this if you spent some time reading the thread, spesifically my reply to jerkstore on page 2.

Why consider anything other than the ES? Because not everyone has the same criteria as you do when it comes to choosing a contract. That's a starter.

#21     Apr 29, 2012
  2. TskTsk

TskTsk

Finally, someone with sensible answers! Thank you babu, I did have a feeling it was a data feed issue

And thumbs up for managing to answer the question without telling me to end my career! Although you did tell ddouglas to end his, but I can't blame you for that lol

#22     Apr 29, 2012
  3. ddouglas

ddouglas

Ok, let's observe a couple facts here.

First, You're accusing me of not knowing what the e-mini is after I posted two separate links to contract specs (one for ES options, the other for SP options). Think that one through next time. Further, SPX is NOT the same as SPM2 futures or ESM2 futures - but I am done trying to clarify that issue.

Second, TskTsk, unless you are posting under two different usernames, there is no post showing that you understood the difference, & that the problem was resolved.

Third, given that you originally didn't even know whether the SPX was an index or a future, it was reasonable to assume you may not be aware of where the liquidity was - so I suggested the e-mini. If this is not what you want, then more power to ya - trade whatever you wish.

Fourth, babutime - if you are going to accuse people of not knowing their basic facts, then you should definitely know yours. Globex data does not require a separate subscription, and is included in your US mkt data bundle if you have a futures account.

Details can be found here:
    http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/p.php?f=marketData
    "US Securities & Commodities Non-Professional Bundle"

#23     Apr 29, 2012
  4. Yes but not everyone has futures trading permissions in IB. Oh, and btw, these are the two references to market data subscriptions regarding options in that page.

[5] The US Securities and Commodities Bundle Non-professional Level 1 includes market data for stock, options, and futures products on: AMEX, CBOT, NYSE, NASDAQ and OPRA.

The above I posted.

There's another one:
    US Option Exchanges See US Non-Pro Bundle Above

Nowhere do I see a reference to Globex or CME.

However, and I'll agree with you on this, when I went through IB account management, I saw that provided one has futures trading permissions , the market data assistant in IB shows this:

US Cmdty (P,L1) (Future-Options) NonPro Provides Market Data information for commodities products at the US Commodities exchanges such as the ECBOT, NYMEX, GLOBEX, CFE, CME, COMEX. ***Access to US Futures data requires US Futures Trading Permissions. 10 USD

and this

US Securities and Commodities Bundle (without NASDAQ) Non-professional - Level I (Future-Options) NonPro 10 USD

#24     Apr 29, 2012
  5. ddouglas

ddouglas

aaand . .

#25     Apr 29, 2012
  6. Sorry about this question

I see SPX index options under CBOE

I also see SPXPM index options under CBOE2

Please what is the difference and why there are two types of index options under CBOE? Which is better to trade and which is traded electronically ? Are both european style and cash settled?

Thanks

#26     May 2, 2012
  7. FSU

FSU

SPX Pit traded at the CBOE European expiration based on morning settlement prices on expiration Friday. Wide quoted markets, tight inside markets. Orders may or may not be filled instantly, based on what type of order is quoted. Quotes are sent by one market maker only, but can be changed by broker representing an order, or an order entered into the electronic book.

SPXW (weekly SPX) quotes sent in by multiple market makers. If you see a quote, you can trade off of it instantly. Tight quoted markets. Expiration is in the afternoon. (On monthly expiration week there are no SPXW's)

SPXPM Traded on the C2, the CBOE's all electronic exchange. No pit. Quotes sent in by multiple market-makers. If you see a quote, you can be filled instantly. Tight quoted markets. Expires in the afternoon.

All three products are single listed and have a COB (complex order book) to facilitate electronic spread trading. All are cash settled.

Best bet is trading SPXPM or SPXW for most public customers.

#27     May 2, 2012
  8. Thanks Sir

You have very nicely explained . Much appreciated.

#28     May 3, 2012
  9. Surprise

Surprise

Hi , late reply but i have a question re SPX : lets say i have a limit order to buy at the bid , can other traders trade at my bid ?

#29     Feb 26, 2013