CBOE aims to eliminate HFT

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by guru, Jul 29, 2020.

1. guru

guru

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/cb...d-curb-advantages-of-fast-traders-11595951409
    =====
    Exchange operator aims to bring first periodic auctions to a U.S. stock exchange
    Alexander Osipovich
    July 28, 2020 11:50 am ET

Cboe Global Markets Inc. is seeking to introduce a new mechanism on one of its U.S. stock exchanges that could limit the advantages of high-frequency traders over other market participants.

The exchange operator is proposing to launch periodic auctions lasting one-tenth of a second, during which buyers and sellers could come together to trade stocks. Such auctions work by aggregating orders to buy and sell stocks into batches and executing them at discrete intervals, rather than allowing orders to be executed continuously throughout the trading day, the standard practice at U.S. exchanges.

Potentially, Cboe could conduct thousands of such auctions a day, as often as 10 times a second in individual stocks.

Although high-speed traders would be able to participate, the intervals between auctions mean that they wouldn’t benefit from their ability to execute trades slightly faster than others. High-frequency traders typically operate in time frames of millionths of a second, far faster than the proposed auctions.

If approved by the Securities and Exchange Commission, Cboe would add the periodic auctions to BYX, one of four U.S. equities exchanges that the company operates. The proposal was outlined on Cboe’s website earlier this month.

The plan would make BYX the first U.S. stock exchange to offer periodic auctions, said Adam Inzirillo, head of U.S. equities at Cboe. He said the proposal was partly modeled off periodic auctions that Cboe runs in Europe, where the mechanism has gained some traction over the past several years.

“It is exciting to see batch auctions proposed by a U.S. stock exchange,” said Eric Budish, an economics professor at the University of Chicago who has advocated for such auctions as a way to curb high-frequency trading.

“The basic advantage of auctions is that they encourage competition on price instead of speed, and ensure that all trades that get executed do so at a market-clearing price, as opposed to a price that just became stale,” he added.

High-frequency traders can use their speed advantage to “pick off” slightly out-of-date orders posted on exchanges by slower market participants. In such strategies, the speedy trader might buy a share just before its price ticks up a penny, or sell just before its price drops. In part to avoid such strategies, big investors and their brokers often steer clear of exchanges, instead turning to dark pools—off-exchange trading venues where the investors’ orders don’t have to be publicly displayed.

Tap to View

In Europe, regulations that went into effect in 2018 and capped dark-pool trading gave a boost to periodic auctions. Such auctions now account for between 1% and 2% of European trading volume, according to Rosenblatt Securities. Asset managers such as

BlackRock Inc. and Janus Henderson GroupPLC have voiced support for periodic auctions in recent consultations with European regulators.
    Cboe runs the largest periodic-auction mechanism in European stocks. Cboe said its proposed periodic auctions on BYX “would assist investors in obtaining needed liquidity, particularly in the case of investors seeking to execute larger orders.” It also said the auctions could make it easier for investors to buy and sell thinly traded securities, such as small-cap stocks with low volumes.

BYX is one of Cboe’s smaller exchanges, handling less than 2% of U.S. trading volume. Still, SEC approval of Cboe’s proposal could set a precedent for other U.S. exchanges to launch their own periodic auctions.

Chicago-based Cboe is the No. 3 U.S. stock-exchange operator by trading volume after New York Stock Exchange parentIntercontinental Exchange Inc. and NasdaqInc. Cboe’s market share has slipped in recent years, and the company has experimented with various ways to boost its volumes and differentiate its exchanges from those run by NYSE and Nasdaq.

In February, the SEC rejected a plan by Cboe to add a “speed bump,” or a split-second trading delay, to another one of its stock exchanges.

Write to Alexander Osipovich at alexander.osipovich@dowjones.com

=====

VPhantom, Nobert, Atikon and 5 others like this.
  2. socool

socool

That is actually interesting to see that they are planning to eliminate HFT.

3. Snuskpelle

Snuskpelle

Fantastic! I hope it clears the legal hurdles.

4. d08

d08

This is amazing. I hope it's implemented as soon as possible. I bet the pickpockets, sorry "HFT", will lobby hard against this.

VPhantom and SPYAlgoTrader like this.
  5. qlai

qlai

I don’t get it. Wouldn’t you be better off just getting average price over 1/10 of a second interval? If you put a large order for such auction and don’t move it, it will be figured out. If you constantly move it with market, it’s just another hidden order like mid-peg and benefits from being at highest volume exchange. Sounds to me like another HFT bashing headline to attract more volume to a dying exchange. Basically, the shorter the period the less useful the auction, no?

6. 2rosy

2rosy

you will have 10 closes every second throughout the day while other exchanges trading a fungible product will be continuous. cboe still needs to beat or match nbbo correct?

7. d08

d08

If I can get the average price, it's fantastic. In reality it rarely happens for retail, it's always slightly worse on average.

I've been a fan of the rapid auction idea for a while. I think 0.1 second interval is a bit too tight, 1 second interval would be enough for most.

Most of the order types sold by the large exchanges sound great but if you put them to practice, the results are not as good. As retail traders we are the product, not the consumer.

VPhantom and SPYAlgoTrader like this.
  8. guru

guru

Atikon likes this.
  9. qlai

qlai

What would you price your order at? I don't really understand what problem such continuous auctions solve.

10. d08

d08

If the auctions are dark, they eliminate the possibility of frontrunning.

#10     Jul 29, 2020
    SPYAlgoTrader likes this.