Cathy Woods - ARK Investment

Discussion in 'Trading' started by brass_trader, Oct 9, 2021.

1. SunTrader

SunTrader

So you are saying no need for benchmarks then?

#51     Nov 22, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. nitrene

nitrene

The same lament of the Hedge Funds which perpetually under-perform the indexes. Growth is growth -- whether it comes from Domino's Pizza during the pandemic or from Zoom. She is simply in hypergrowth companies.

She has clearly beaten even the growth indexes like QQQ or VOT (Vanguard Mid-Cap Growth Index) longer term, however since the February 16 top ARKK has done terribly versus the QQQ (a 50% spread, -30% vs. +20% as of this morning).

#52     Nov 22, 2021
  3. traider

traider

upload_2021-11-23_0-44-36.png upload_2021-11-23_0-43-52.png

I prefer QQQ if I want growth, she doesn't outperform on a risk adjusted basis.

#53     Nov 22, 2021
  4. SunTrader

SunTrader

109.35 -3.89 (-3.44%)
    As of 1:57PM EST. Market open.

and meanwhile $NDX
    16516.21 -57.05 -0.34%

or 1/10th the drop.

#54     Nov 22, 2021
  5. Cathie is an example of why long/short is superior to long-only. If she added shorts to her mandates and the flexibility that comes with it, I would not be surprised if she did much better. However, she's managing $20b+ which is a lot more than most hedge funds lol.

#55     Nov 22, 2021
  6. themickey

themickey

Cathie Wood worries ARKK clients may miss out by selling dip
    Peyton Forte and Joanna Ossinger Nov 25, 2021
    https://www.afr.com/markets/equity-...s-may-miss-out-by-selling-dip-20211125-p59bwx

While some of Cathie Wood’s biggest stock bets have taken a beating in recent months, the founder of Ark Investment Management says she’s really concerned that her investors may be heading straight for the exits on the downward momentum.

Wood’s flagship Ark Innovation ETF (ticker ARKK) has slipped roughly 15 per cent on the year compared with the S&P 500’s 25 per cent gain, prompting some traders to sell. But Wood said now is actually one of the best buying periods for her strategy.

[​IMG]
    “We don’t think it’s true that China is uninvestable. We’re just waiting for the valuation dust to settle and make sure the incentives for growth re-emerge.” AP

“Our concern for our clients is so significant that I get really upset when I think that they’re selling at the low or the other way around is buying into the high,” Wood said during a webinar organised by Bloomberg Intelligence and moderated by Rebecca Sin.

“At the high late last year and into January and February, I was saying, ‘We’re going to have a correction, keep some powder dry, keep some powder dry.’”

In a wide-ranging discussion about the year ahead, Wood also said she is holding off on adding bets in Chinese markets amid worries about Beijing’s crackdown on some of the country’s high-profile tycoons.

China remains a “very innovative nation” but there are concerns that the recent regulatory assault on private enterprise has led to an erosion of incentives for dynamic entrepreneurs, Wood said.

“We don’t think it’s true that China is uninvestable. We’re just waiting for the valuation dust to settle and make sure the incentives for growth re-emerge,” she said.
    Additionally, Wood addressed the booming industry for funds that meet higher environmental, social and governance standards -- and the importance of improving disclosures to prevent managers from “greenwashing” or making misleading claims about how environmentally-friendly a fund’s holdings are.

“We do not use the acronym ESG with our portfolios, but we will tell you when we’re asked the questions that our portfolios are intrinsically ESG,” Wood said.

Citing comments from Purview Investments LLC founder and CEO Linda Zhang, Wood claimed the carbon footprint in ARKK is 10 per cent of the S&P 500.

Other things Wood said:
    • El Salvador’s bitcoin experiment is “very exciting” and a real use case for the cryptocurrency
    • On Elon Musk and Tesla.: “Tesla wants to save us from ourselves – wants to save humanity. Elon Musk is so convinced that we need to change our ways in terms of transportation and the environment that he’s dedicated his life to it.”
    • The Global Industry Classification Standard or GICS system jointly developed by MSCI and S&P Dow Jones Indices will need to change dramatically in the coming years because technology is permeating every industry “Pure” bitcoin exchange-traded funds are likely better than futures-based ones
    Bloomberg

#56     Nov 24, 2021
    777 likes this.
  7. Overnight

Overnight

An innovative nation?!?! WTH is she smoking? Good grief!

#57     Nov 24, 2021
  8. RedDuke

RedDuke

She just happened to be lucky on her timing. Let's see how she fares when bear arrives.

#58     Nov 24, 2021
  9. SunTrader

SunTrader

It's here for ARKK it is anyway:-
    ! ARKK.png

#59     Dec 3, 2021
  10. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

I prefer SARK :D

#60     Dec 3, 2021