catholic priests rape nuns too.

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Free Thinker, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Friday, Apr 23, 2010 09:01 ET
    The next Catholic abuse scandal: Crimes against women
    Coming to light are widespread reports of rapes of nuns -- young women from India's and Africa's poorest families

http://www.salon.com/news/catholici...2010/04/23/next_catholic_priest_abuse_scandal

The AIDS pandemic in Africa and India is said to have made nuns "safer" sex partners and, also for that reason, targets of priests seeking sex. (Some nuns also reported sexual abuse by mothers superior.) The women, culturally brainwashed not to challenge men or female figures of authority, felt they had no choice, and the priests took further advantage by arguing that Catholic rules for priests required them to have sex "only with virgins."

2. I get it, Vhehn. You're against senseless strict institutional control over people's lives, but only in cases where <b>you can personally relate</b>. Religion? You're strongly opposed to <i>that</i>, because as a child you were forced to attend church and possibly Catholic school as well.

Senseless oppression of harmless drug prohibition violators? That's all cool in your book, because you don't feel personally victimized by it. To you, freedom is only something to strive for when it directly affects you personally... but fuck everyone else, right?

3. How are rape and institutional control related? :confused:

4. the victims of the church have no choice. you have a choice. your choice is damage yourself and others around you by abusing hard drugs. or not.
    when your choice affects people other than yourself negatively people like me band together and tell you to stop by way of laws. nothing personal against you. i could care less if you shoot yourself full of drugs and end up dead. in fact if i heard you were dead from an overdose i would chuckle and think to myself i saw that coming.

5. How are rape and institutional control related?

---->This wasn't a post against rape, it was a post against the Catholic church manipulating people into surrendering control of their lives. If the church wasn't involved, vhehn would have never considered mentioning it.

6. actually you are wrong. i would have mentioned it no matter what brand of church it was.

The way to deal with superstition is not to be polite to it, but to tackle it with all arms, and so rout it, cripple it, and make it forever infamous and ridiculous. Henry Louis Mencken

7. If you had all the facts, you just might realize how ignorant you sound.

One study of Vancouver's injection-drug users has taken harm reduction to a level even beyond Insite. In 2003, the same year that the supervised-injection site opened its doors, an epidemiologist named Martin Schecter began planning a trial that had never been conducted in North America: heroin maintenance. Would a daily course of heroin, administered in a clinical setting, release users from the destructive aspects of maintaining their addiction? Would it benefit society and allow users to stabilize their lives? Similar studies had been conducted in Europe with positive results. Switzerland alone has 38 heroin maintenance centers, and they are a fully integrated part of its national health system; Germany followed suit last year. Schecter, who has worked in Vancouver since the first signs of the AIDS epidemic in 1983, wanted to see whether such a program would make a difference in Canada.

The results of the trials, published in the New England Journal of Medicine in August, were encouraging. Schecter found that 88 percent of the heroin maintenance group stayed on their course of treatment, versus 54 percent in the methadone group. Illegal activity in the heroin group was reduced 67 percent, versus 47.7 percent in the methadone group. Out of 89,000 injections, there were only 10 overdoses and no fatalities. Despite the positive results, the heroin maintenance program has not been adopted as part of a permanent treatment strategy. Schecter has begun a new trial, focusing on dilaudid—a synthetic opiate with similar effects to heroin, but which can be administered in a pill— to see whether that has similar results. In purely economic terms, Schecter claims opiate maintenance makes sense: An untreated heroin addict costs the state $45,000 a year in legal and medical bills; heroin maintenance costs $7,000. "Sure, it's easy to say, 'You're giving heroin to junkies,' " Schecter says, but he witnessed the stabilization of the heroin group firsthand. "A subject told me 'for the first time in 20 years I'm actually thinking about my life.' That was the line that blew my mind," he recalled. "They're actually thinking about the future. Normally they're thinking about eight hours."

For the full article:

http://www.slate.com/id/2242828/

8. any reason you are not on your way to Vancouver or some other place where you can have your freedom?

we dont have much problem with heroin around where i live. the junkies are into meth here. there is no meth maintenance. it destroys you.

9. PatternRec

PatternRec Guest

Imagine you are correct about his motives. And you quite possibly are.

Is it a lie? Is he posting disinformation? Granted, the interwebs are full of all sorts of false information. But is what he posted untrue?

What difference do his motives for posting make if the information is true? Even if he was out to discredit and attack the Catholic Church, if it didn't readily provide such ammunition, what would be the OP's recourse? He'd probably have to delve into conspiracy theories and made up anecdotal stories to discredit and/or expose the Church.

10. I can't even leave the state (let alone the country) until I get off paper in August. Then I plan to travel to a more civilized country to try ibogaine for the first time. If that fails, and my veins stay thirsty, I'll almost certainly be forced to sell my house and leave the country for good. Otherwise, I'd just put myself on a collision course with disaster at the hands of your prohibition enforcement thugs. Thanks for caring.

As for meth, I actually agree with you. From everything I've seen, nothing good can come from meth or coke addiction. However, nothing good can come from criminalizing these drugs either. Even if meth was legally sold at my local walmart, I wouldn't become addicted to it. Just like you wouldn't bother with heroin, even if you got it for free in the mail. Prohibition doesn't reduce drug use, or drug abuse. 100 years ago it was all legal, yet there were no more addicts then than there are today. Drug crime and drug prostitution were however a miniscule fraction of what they are today.

Trying to 'reform' an addict into voluntarily living clean is much like trying to 'cure' a homosexual. All the whips and chains and jail cells in the world still won't enable you to pull it off. Enslaving people is never the answer. Just leave people the fuck alone unless they harm another person or their property.

#10     Apr 23, 2010