Catholic Church May Derail Obama's Re-Election

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by pspr, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Brass and AK-47 are working on an information curve. Given the correct information, they will make an informed opinion.

#21     Feb 7, 2012
  2. Brass

Brass

Yes, but it's not a church. I think there should be a cut-off point over their sphere of influence when it creeps into secular society. The decision may not serve Obama well politically, and I don't know if right now was the best time to bring it forth, but it was the right decision for a civilized, post-medieval society.

#22     Feb 7, 2012
  3. My issue is that if you go to a St. Francis, in case the name did not give it away, the sisters of the order will visit you there. These women and men do good work on a belief system, and while I am not catholic, in South and Central Illinois, if you are really really sick, they lifeflight you to Peoria and St. Francis.

In my mind it is a bit of a Pyrrhic victory to force this. The Catholics can, and will, cost Obama a win if he does not modify this. Study the Catholic faith. They will die for what the believe in, so sitting out an election is nothing to them.

Further, other superstitious people will see this and be pre-emptive.

Next thing you know, Catholics, Southern Baptists, United Methodists, etc. will begin to review the Obama "muslim" question.

In politics, "reasonable doubt" is all you need.

#23     Feb 7, 2012
  4. Brass

Brass

I am catholic by birth, and birth only. As I see it, churches can remain unfettered within lawful limits, but I do not think that beyond those church doors there should be a quid pro quo. Let's see some of that unconditional love I've heard so much about from the spiritual set. Again, I'm not saying this was a great political move on Obama's part. Just the right move by a responsible leader.

#24     Feb 7, 2012
  5. That surprises me Brass, as you are one of the most pragmatic people I know.

Unconditional love is not what any religion is about. Since you are a Catholic by birth( which means you are merely backsliden, you cannot renounce catholiscism) you know that they will also KILL for what they believe in. If Obama becomes the enemy, he now has the GOP and the largest Christian denomination in the world against him. That is too much.

#25     Feb 7, 2012
  6. Brass

Brass

RCG, you're not reading my posts. Pragmatically, it was not likely a very good move for Obama. I have said that more than once in this thread. Idealistically, however, it was the right decision. I have made that distinction. I suspect it may cost him some. How much, I don't know, because look at the alternative that catholics will have: Gordon Gekko. And if they choose not to vote on principle, then they may still get Gordon Gekko.

And yeah, I am well aware that unconditional love is definitely not what religion is about, because religion differentiates rather than integrates, as history has shown time and again. That was a bit of sarcasm on my part. So much for Jesus and his parables, eh?

I cannot renounce my catholicism? This is me renouncing my catholicism.

#26     Feb 7, 2012
  7. I do read your posts, but this is pivotal for us here in America. This is stupid for Obama to do. Most agnostics and atheists I know were once Catholic, believe it or not. I have never allowed myself to analyze that question as to why that is. I have politely rebuffed them many times. They hold medical professionals in high regard so recruitment is nearly constant.

How much will it cost? If he loses in November, the last four years never existed. That is how we do it here. He absolutely MUST win in 2012.

#27     Feb 7, 2012
  8. Yes, you can as a sovereign individual, but they do not see it that way is all I am saying.

#28     Feb 7, 2012
  9. Brass

Brass

I agree. And this decision may end up costing him more than he expected. But I think (hope?) that you are making more of it than it is or will be. Just trying to be optimistic. I do agree, however, that it does make the drama a bit more intense.

#29     Feb 7, 2012
  10. Brass

Brass

You must be mistaking me for someone who gives a shit. :D

#30     Feb 7, 2012