Catching the intraday High and Low

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by golablue, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Seriously though, I hardly ever catch the high or low in any of the stocks I trade. But, there is plenty to be made by catching pieces throughout the day, so thats what I focus on.

Golablue, good luck to you. If you find out a feasible method to find highs/lows consistently, you're way ahead of all of us schmoes :)

#11     Feb 28, 2006
  2. I think it is more valuable to "KNOW" when you have the intraday high/low as opposed to trying to catch it. when I have a pretty good feeling that I have thew high/low I always have my best winners, just let the stock run its course. I find certain stocks give you a pretty decent clue once you are already in, I dont think it is possible to come up with a system that will say "x" is going to be the high/low of the day though.

#12     Feb 28, 2006
  3. bitrend

bitrend

You know I did try that too. But I think I may not have the ability as yours. Finally, I ended up by proving to myself that mathematically it's impossible. I understand that you are not seeking the exact high and low but something close to it.

The movement of a stock price is a bit randomness and more worst than that, it will be a very complex randomness, if it does, since each new price doesn't have the equal probability due to many things happening during its course. A random variable with equal probability is one thing, and with different probability is another more complex.

I have remarked that experienced traders are betting on the direction rather than on the position(point). It sounds more logical to realise since we have only 2 directions compare to infinite positions. Then obviously betting on the direction has higher probability to be right than betting on the position.

#13     Feb 28, 2006
  4. Thank you dwl, steve T, winter, bitrend, and all those who offered insightful comments. I appreciate your input and honesty.

#14     Feb 28, 2006
  5. many years and many thousands of hours of study and u will see u r seeking something that doesn't matter...........steve is correct.........grab what u can from each run..........trend is very friendly........end of story for me..........

#15     Feb 28, 2006
  6. think about it like this..........if you want to make money find what u can build enormous confidence in..........work until u find it.....if it is a few years, so what?.........it will be worth it.....best wishes and good luck

#16     Feb 28, 2006
  7. I buy the bottoms when the trend is long.
    And i sell the tops when the trend is short.

But buying the bottoms and selling the tops in 1 trade is more difficult.

#17     Mar 1, 2006
  8. but not impossible.....

Maria

#18     Mar 1, 2006
  9. Reason is that only few people know how to trade profitably and even less know when h/l is MOST LIKELY in place.
    You must first learn how to predict intraday reversals and go from there. When you learn how to predict reversals you will be hitting h/l of the day. And most of what is between.
    Not easy but can be done.

#19     Mar 1, 2006
  10. I was also thinking about this fact and that is that a lot of times a stock will make the high/low on the very first print of the day. I cant imagine there is any way to know this beforehand since there is no data, no price action to alert you that this is the high/low.

#20     Mar 1, 2006