CAT?? gimme a break!

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Jaxon, May 8, 2007.

1. Jaxon

Jaxon

So the Dow is down 50 points and CAT is up a point... I sell out my position (almost 1/2 point ago) and start to wonder why is this stock up so much? Oh, somebody suggested that CAT could be Warren Buffet's big mega acquisition target. ok...

2. Stocks dont always follow their indexes.

3. It's great, isn't it?

Just befriend some reporters from high profile financial publications - it may be costly, but it's worth it.

After dozens of expensive lunches at some of Manhattan's finest restaurants, tell them you hear that "word is, Icahn is going to launch a hostile bid for Met Life."

And wink.

Make sure you're long Met Life, with leverage to the gills.

4. So THATS how you make your money! :p

seriously though, isnt this what hedge funds do?...they get the media to spin a rumor or false story so they can profit?

5. Sure do.

I believe they do, anyways.

Look at all the buyout rumors that were actually published, and never materialized.

6. Me too...they start rumors and make millions, you start rumors and try to make millions, which isn't so easy, and you go to jail. This is Americana my friends!

7. Someone else in another thread brought it up, but Palm is a classic case of this;

One minute CNBC's Jim Goldman was reporting that a major shareholder was reporting that Palm was going to be taken out for $25 a share, and then...

...nothing, nada, zilch.

Palm climbed to about 20 before falling back again.

Not a word from CNBC about their reporting of factually erroneous material, either. Actually, the whole topic disappeared from the radar.

I wonder who dumped their shares on the ramp up?

This happens all the time. They trumpet the fact that a buyout has happened when they've pre-announced it, though, even though this may only be 10% or less of the time.

If I was the AG, I'd authorize an investigation, and subpoena every record they have, to find out every person the reporters talked to.

8. just keep buying Gental Ben will supply you with all the money you need !!!!! jake