Cash stolen from thinkorswim accounts, any advice?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by dis, Mar 2, 2010.

1. jjj1000

jjj1000

That is very uncommon occurrence.

If I were you I would contact SIPC http://www.sipc.org/ and FINRA http://www.finra.org/ immediately and fill in a formal complain with them. At least that. Immediately.

#11     Mar 2, 2010
  2. Could be a clerical error. Some employee logs in, thinking you are bob smith, and there are 100 bob smiths at the brokerage...etc

I sometimes get insurance checks from people with a similar name on the same insurance coverage. They obviously inputted the wrong data.

Mistakes happen.

#12     Mar 2, 2010
  3. And you deposit those checks immediately! :D

#13     Mar 2, 2010
  4. Are u sure it wasn't those IWM puts u bought a few weeks back:D

#14     Mar 2, 2010
  5. Did the withdrawal show up as a regular debit, as with a normal withdrawal, or was $10,000 just "missing" after accounting for changes in daily P/L?

#15     Mar 2, 2010
  6. rsi80

rsi80

Does TOS not require you to authorize such transfers using a security device, in addition to your password, ie, a two-factor authentication system?

Is the "strange" bank account in your name or someone else's name?

#16     Mar 2, 2010
  7. risky63

risky63

dats right holmes..............

#17     Mar 2, 2010
  8. Yeah! Da bastids stole hundreds of thousands from me over the years!

#18     Mar 2, 2010
  9. the1

the1

If you knew anything about taxes and if the funds really were stolen you'd know that what you just said is absolutely, positively FALSE! Don't make comments about the tax code unless you know it inside and out and if you don't do the research to find the correct answer. The OP would not be liable for these penalties if he has an accountant who has a shred of knowledge.

#19     Mar 2, 2010
  10. WinSum

WinSum

OK smart guy, why don't you post the IRS code that says funds withdrawn from IRA account are exempt from taxation and penalties and what form of proof is required by the IRS for the exemption.

#20     Mar 2, 2010