cash account

Discussion in 'Trading' started by rafat, Sep 29, 2001.

1. Magna

Magna Administrator

Fohat,

I'm not going to get into a this 'n that with you, as you seem to be firmly planted in the shoulda coulda woulda approach, and while I admire your tenacity I don't agree with you.

The thing that can change at any time (i.e. brokerage policies) doesn't really matter. What matters is the governing law

No, what matters NOW is how the brokerages interpret the law. Maybe they will change their policies to accomodate your interpretation of the law, maybe they won't. When and if they do, then that will be what matters then. Again, not your interpretation but their policies.

Almost all law and regulations are subject to extensive interpretation, that's what the various levels of courts and governing bodies do -- continually render judgments as to their interpretation at that particular time. And even those interpretations are often open to later and further interpretation. I wish it were all so simple, so carved in stone as you suggest, but it's not that way in the real world.

You can argue until you're blue in the face that daytrading in a cash account is perfectly legal under all current regulations, but if IB (for instance) doesn't allow it then that's the way it is now. And if IB later changes their policy, either because of re-interpretation or because of customer migration, etc. then that's the way it will be then.

In the meantime, I previously posted what Cyber's interpretation of trading in cash accounts currently is for those dealing with them or considering an account. Quite simply, as with IB's interpretation of no daytrading in cash accounts, if you don't like Cyber's interpretation of daytrading in cash accounts then take your account elsewhere assuming you can find someone who accomodates your needs and desires. Or keep tilting at windmills.

#21     Oct 1, 2001
  2. Yoda

Yoda

Actually, IB made a slight mistake, which rose the red flag for them and other brokers, I already send them e-mail and waiting for the answer, which I don't expect anytime soon, I can imagine how overloaded they are.

25 k rule thread, I wrote:

Just found a problem
    Interacitive Brokers www.interactivebrokers.com

This is what I found on their website under Daytrading
    Cash Accounts Q & A: .... Therefore, because stock
    transactions settle in three (3) business days....

Actual rule, taken from SEC website
    http://www.sec.gov/answers/tplus3.htm states: Since
    June 1995, investors must complete or "settle" their
    security transactions within three business days.

There is a world of difference between "in three days"
    and "within three days"

Bob

#22     Oct 1, 2001
  3. Fohat is totally correct. Brokers can and do allow daytrading in cash accounts and provide instant BP updates. Of course, they don't have to , as Cyber and some others have apparently chosen . I don't want to name the one I am using for fear they will change policy, but rest assured it is a big, well-known one and i just did it and watched BP go down and return to beginning of day figure.

#23     Oct 1, 2001
  4. Fohat

Fohat

Thank you AAAintheBeltway for giving us an example of a broker that allows daytrading in cash accounts.

Magna,

The law is adamantly clear: Daytrading in cash account is allowed. 4:1 daytrading margin is allowed for >25k margin accounts.

There's no"my interpretaion" or "broker interpretation" here. The law states absolutely: 4:1 margin is allowed, Daytrading in a cash account is not prohiited .
    There's no coulda, shoulda, woulda here.

You maybe confuse "broker interpretation" with "broker choice".

The broker can not interpret that 4:1 margin is not allowed by the law. Such interpretation is against the law. (SEC approved NYSE, NASD regulations).

Similarly, the broker can not interpret that daytrading in cash account is not allowed by its governing law. Such interpretation is against the law. (Federal Reserve Reg.T - which governs and allows daytrading in cash accounts).

A broker may choose not ot provide 4:1 margin, but can't say "my interpretation" is that 4:1 is prohibited by the law. Such "Broker interpretation" is against the law. Similarly for cash account daytrading.

It's not correct to label that a brokers ephimeral choice is "that's the way it is". The law is "that's the way it is". The law endures, not the ephimeral brokers choice, that can change any time.

I understand your point Magna: all should accept what their brokers choice/restrictions/offer is , accept no matter what the broker choice is because "that's the way it is", they should give up any demands because "that's the way it is", and they should obey their brokers choice because "that's all that matters", like complete loosers or move elsewhere. I don't agree with your pessimist looser approach.

I'm already accomodated. You suggest all cash accounts with <25k give up and move.

I don't agree that they should give up, the law is on their side, everyone of them should demand that his/her broker provides daytrading in cash accounts. If enough people demand that, they'll be daytrading again.

Fohat

#24     Oct 1, 2001
  5. AAA,

What do you mean you just watched BP go down and return to beginning days figure?

Do you have to wait for next day to refresh your buying power?

Can you describe with more detail what you are permitted to do?

Bucky Lee

#25     Oct 1, 2001
  6. BuckyLee,

I buy something, it goes down. I sell it, it goes back up. No waiting till next day.

#26     Oct 1, 2001
  7. AAA,

Are you suggesting you get instant updated buying power...no wait until tomorrow to refresh???

I find that a little hard to believe. I'm not questioning your veracity only that you may misinterpreting what you are seeing.

Bucky Lee

#27     Oct 1, 2001
  8. Magna

Magna Administrator

Fohat,

It's not correct to say that a brokers ephimeral choice is "that's the way it is". The law is "that's the way it is". The law endures, not the ephimeral brokers choice, that can change any hour.
    Actually the broker's interpretation or "choice" as you put it, is the way it is. Until it's not. If you don't believe it, try daytrading in a cash account at IB right now. And laws and regulations can change at any time also.

I understand your point Magna: all should accept what their brokers choice/restrictions/offer is , accept no matter what the broker choice is because "that's the way it is", they should give up any demands because "that's the way it is", and they should obey their brokers choice because "that's all that matters", like complete loosers or move elsewhere. I don't agree with your pessimist looser approach.
    I never suggested that you can't petition a broker, petition the SEC, or change brokerage houses. Not sure where you made that up from? Maybe your petitions will be successful, maybe not. And maybe you consider dealing with reality a pessimist loser approach. I don't.

You suggest all cash accounts with <25k give up and move.
    Again, I never suggested that so I'm not sure where that was plucked from the air? I said if you don't like your broker's interpretation of various laws and regulations then you would probably be better off trying to find a broker more suitable to your needs if you can. It's the capitalist way.

everyone of them should demand that his/her broker provides daytrading in cash accounts.
    I agree that broker's should comply with regulations and laws, and that if you are so inclined you demand compliance of your broker. Maybe they will heed your demands, and maybe they won't.

My point was simple and you seem to be twisting and turning it. I like to deal with what is (kinda the same way I deal with the market, not what should be). If I don't like the way my broker runs things, and I can find a good alternative, then either I stay put and make demands as you suggest, or I can move on and put my energies into trading. That's everybody's individual choice.

#28     Oct 1, 2001
  9. Magna

Magna Administrator

AAAintheBeltway,

Brokers can and do allow daytrading in cash accounts and provide instant BP updates. Of course, they don't have to, as Cyber and some others have apparently chosen.
    Unlike IB, Cyber does allow daytrading within a cash account. I was merely posting their methodology of updating the buying power.

I don't want to name the one I am using for fear they will change policy, but rest assured it is a big, well-known one and i just did it and watched BP go down and return to beginning of day figure.
    As a new member of Elite Trader I am sorry you feel that naming a major broker will alter their policies, but so be it. BTW, Cyber also immediately updates buying power, but unfortunately it's not accurate at this time as it implies that you can use the money in your cash account more than once in a day. I am told this is to be corrected in the next revision.

#29     Oct 1, 2001
  10. Bucky Lee,

Yes, they update it on the fly for day trades. for an overnight position I think you have to wait until the next day. There is definitely no aggregation going on, as Cyber apparently does, ie if you have BP of $50k and you buy and sell 1000 shares at 50 you are done for the day.

Magna,

I just don't want to highlight something that maybe they haven't focused on.

#30     Oct 1, 2001