Case Shiller Housing reports

Discussion in 'Economics' started by 1flyfisher, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Anyone know where to find the break down of how much various cities fell and by how much?

I did find a list of alot of cities but I want to see all the data for ALL THE CITIES they have data on, not just large metropolitan cities.

Thanks in advance.

2. calends

calends

3. From The Big Picture:
    [​IMG]

Factor out the 4 states that are exacerbating the aggregate and it's not that bad.

4. In the Case/Shiller index do they mean detroit or the metro area, which has ~5 million people?

5. I know this is not the Case Shiller but you may find it useful if you do not already have it to hand.

http://www.housingtracker.net/
    regards
    f9

6. Your right it's metro area. Reading some of the articles about supermarkets moving out of Detroit or homes in the city costing less than a car really is misleading about the area in general.

7. I live and work in metro detroit.(Rochester Hills) There is a _ton_ of new tech in Oakland County, especially alternative energy and chemical research. The best we can figure it's the high-level of employee education in the area from the universities.(serious)

Aside from the business district downtown, detroit-proper is a DMZ. There are thousands of properties there that are victims of decades of neglect after the riots. It really is a shame because there is some gorgeous architecture in detroit that has stood the test of time. In talking with some RE investors the latest thing people seem to be doing is moving large packages of properties - like 100 or more at a time, all part of the same sale. I think people are just buying up the city block by block....

Here's a fun-fact as of 2006: There is over $1 billion of payroll cashed in the area every 2 weeks.

8. There was an article about a month or 2 ago about asian investors buying up city blocks.

But this sort of thing sticks in my mind when i hear of Detroit:
    Buy Houses in Detroit for $1500, Monthly Pmt. = $7

You can go to Realtor.com and search for homes for sale in any city in the U.S., and you can specify a certain price range. If you search for homes for sale in Detroit, Michigan, you'll find that there are 22,387 homes for sale right now, and if you search for Detroit homes for sales between $0 and $20,000, you'll find that there are 3,431 homes for sale in that price range!

That is, more than 15% of the homes for sale in Detroit, or almost 1 out every 7 homes for sale, is priced at $20,000 or less, including the "Great Investment Property" pictured above, which is listed at a $1,500 sales price (negotiable?) with estimated monthly payments of only "$7 per month."

"$7 for a monthly house payment," isn't that about what a single pack of cigarettes cost now?

------

But like you say and wikipedia mentions about the Metro Detroit area is the high tech foundation and population growth. Seems like 2 different worlds between the city and the area around it.

9. Thanks everyone.

I have, since posting, figured out that the index is only for 20 cities and another index they have and calculate is only for 10 cities.

I was thinking I could find price drops for all sorts of different specific cities. Like how much where I live Reno, Nv and Truckee/Tahoe, Ca have dropped.