Carrier plant layoffs: Worker thought Trump would save her job. She was wrong.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by exGOPer, Jan 12, 2018.

1. exGOPer

exGOPer

As she waited patiently in line to cast her vote, Elliott said she was buoyed by the belief that Donald Trump would make good on his campaign pledge and prevent her job at the Carrier plant — the job that she said allowed her to escape an abusive marriage and live a modest but comfortable life — from being sent to Mexico.

Now, very soon, Elliott will be standing in another line — the unemployment line.

Elliott, 44, was one of the 215 workers at the Indianapolis plant who were given pink slips on Thursday. And to say she is disappointed by Trump would be an understatement.

“We all voted for him,” she said of herself and her Carrier co-workers. “We just thought he was going to protect our jobs. It sounded really good. And then, boom.”

“When I first heard on the radio that he was going to run, you’re thinking, ‘He’s a billionaire and so forth,’” she said. “And I was thinking, ‘There’s no way, but he’s going to find a cause and pick it up and when he does he’ll change things. And little did I know we’ll be the cause.”

Elliott said workers began showing up for their shifts in red Make America Great Again baseball caps and she started seeing Trump bumper stickers and posters everywhere.

After the election, there seemed to be even more reason to cheer when a triumphant Trump and his running mate Mike Pence, then the governor of Indiana, announced that they had worked out a deal with Carrier's parent company, United Technologies, to save “more than a thousand jobs right here in the head of the Heartland.”

“Actually the number’s over 1,100 people, which is so great, which is so great,” Trump said.

With her future now even more in doubt, Elliott said she went out on medical leave early in December with what doctors at first feared was congestive heart failure. She recovered and returned to work a week before she will leave the plant forever.

Elliott kept her tears largely in check throughout the interview, but she broke down crying at one point while she was talking about how the quality of the air conditioners and furnaces she built would suffer when production started in Monterrey. She said she fears a faulty unit may spark a deadly fire.

But Elliott’s pride in what she accomplished at Carrier and uncertainty about what she will do now were evident, too.

“I started as a production associate and it was at the bottom,” she recalled. “I wanted to be more and I moved up and up and up, and I became a supervisor and that’s like the highest (post) in the plant.”

Come Friday, though, Elliott will be another unemployed American factory worker. “At my age, I don’t have the confidence to start all over again,” she said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...rker-thought-trump-would-save-her-job-n836261

2. exGOPer

exGOPer

She got the Trump University experience without paying the fees. Lucky gal.

3. Cuddles

Cuddles

Wait until Trump cuts her unemployment and Obamacare next

Eh, who am I kidding, they'll just blame it on immigrants.

4. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Still waiting for Trump to bring all those jobs back from Mexico and get tough on China.

5. exGOPer

exGOPer