Carlin Trading -- should I leave them?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by jimpat2005, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dustin

Dustin

"My bottom line would have been 2.5 times better than what I made till date."

You answered your own question right there. Even with your volume don't settle for less than .005.

#11     Dec 27, 2005
  2. zdreg

zdreg

if it was a no brainer, genesis would have no competitors.

#12     Dec 27, 2005
  3. Thank you ETers for all your posts. Yea it is definitely a no brainer to switch to another firm with lot lower commissions if I just considered the commissions and the payouts of profit. The only reason I posted this question here was that I am confused and concerned about the restrictions some firms out there put on their traders like

1) volume requirements each day or each month. here it does not matter how many shares I trade in a month and there is no push from them and since I trade very selectively and high cents/share profit trades there are days I barely trade 10K shares and there are days I trade 60K.

2) About how big my loosers are. I heard some offices would shout on the traders if the trade goes 10 cents or more against the trader. Here we do hold for little longer and hold for little larger shake outs. Just want to say that here the traders dont have any restrictions on how they traded.

3) Strategies I can use. Some firms do stick to trading only few stocks everyday and only to few strategies. Here we trade anything and everything that is moving, mostly listed, no volume requirements on that stock.

4) Realtime stock scanning software. Here they provide free Neovest First alert and Insight (not sure what other firms offer). We can build our own filters to scan for stocks and all my ideas come from there. It would be hard for me to trade without real time scanning software and filter for my own strategies.

My concern is about the tradeoffs I will have to make between all the things I am getting I mentioned above and in my first thread and the lower commission and higher payout. Whether it is a good idea to stick to this firm, paying a little high price for all this things or switch to other firm if I can really get all this at a lower price.

#13     Dec 27, 2005
  4. Dustin

Dustin

If you trade remote from one of the more popular firms you will get the following:

-No volume restrictions, although usually volume breaks if you increase.

-Usually nobody will be monitoring your individual trades. Often they employ risk management software so they can see your P&L to make sure you aren't doing anything to put the firm at risk.

-You can trade whatever you want, but some firms have restrictions on overnights.

-Check out trade-ideas.com for scanning.

#14     Dec 27, 2005
  5. zdreg

zdreg

10k vrs. 60k has no meaning, you said 300k/mpnth that is near the lower end of the range= about 15k/day. take the plunge. go out and talk to a few people who do hiring.

what might be interesting to people on this board is how many different brokerage firms PMed you in order to recruit you

#15     Dec 27, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.