Carey's Journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by cdcaveman, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Yes, just like the synthetic futures calendar spreads for CL. If you have a good feed you will see the trades are a blur because so much of it is computerised, but you can make money anyway. I have.

Have not watched the options but the CL futures spreads don't change much on any given day so over a span of weeks you get a third or a quarter of the daily move in CL. Very low margins.

#51     Oct 18, 2012
  2. your trading calender spreads on CL futures?

#52     Oct 18, 2012
  3. Yes, but I got out too early on the ride up to -$1.40 on the CLX2-CLG3. I'm new to this, but I do like it for the easy hold.

Need a price driver to move the front months back up in price to narrow that spread again. It was at -$0.88 before the run up.

Easy way to watch the spreads without logging on is here.

http://www.barchart.com/commodityfutures/Crude_Oil_WTI_Futures/futspreads/CLV12

#53     Oct 18, 2012
  4. ummm for the nov/dec spread.. i see symbols CLX2 for nov and CLZ2 for dec in interactive brokers..

#54     Oct 18, 2012
  5. I look at the spreads in R|Trader with the Rithmic feed. Better action if you go to CLG3, CLH3 as the back month.

#55     Oct 18, 2012
  6. easier if you just talked in terms of feb/march haha.. i have to look up the symbols everytime you talk haha.. seems like a good trade on a front month spike.. gotta wait for an edge and put in screen time

#56     Oct 18, 2012
  7. Sorry, brain wired differently, I relate to the symbols and really can't tell you which is for which month except for the front month and the next month. LOL.

Yup, I'm waiting for the front month to show some life before entering on the expectation the spread will narrow.

I suggest you paper trade to make sure you know what is what. I don't know the situation with IB, but with R|Trader there is a specific way to know if you are buying the front month or selling it, as apparently the same action buys the front month in CL and SELLS it for the indices. Bloody confusing for me and I had to get details and screenshots from my brokers trade desk to be clear.

#57     Oct 18, 2012
  8. i've got the details situated in my IB account... IB it actually shows the months.. the symbols are secondary.. they don't even show the symbols when you go to trade.. all months multipliers and buy or sells.

#58     Oct 18, 2012
  9. So what is the spread symbol for CLZ2-CLH3 in IB? I can't get it so obviously my regular format is Greek to IB. Trying to load it on the quote panel.

If I can have a spreads watchlist, I can shut down another platform and load only when there is life in the spread.

#59     Oct 18, 2012
  10. go into the spread trader.. thats what you need to do... then just punch in CL.. specify the months.. and how many months you wanna see.. IE 1 month is nov/dec dec/jan etc etc.. two months is those plus Nov/jan dec/feb etc etc..

#60     Oct 18, 2012