Careers With the Most Psychopaths

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Q3D, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Psychopaths have "tells" like poker players do. Lots of Cops are psychopaths for sure. They love having the authority. Not sure about Lawyers, introverts are drawn to that career and they aren't a lot different from psychopaths much of the time, more class but otherwise lots of similarity...

#21     May 3, 2016
  2. Simples

Simples

Why would introverts be drawn to a profession where they routinely will have to deal with people? Also it is a common mistake to confuse introverts with lack of empathy or psychopathy, but still a big mistake. Introverts and psychopathy is usually opposites. Mostly, it is foolish to generalize and ignore psychopathic systems for the people trapped in / hurt by them. Hurt/repressed people will tend to spend their lives continuing the cycle. Psychopaths arent necessarily bad people either, but need good upbringing and loving care.

#22     May 3, 2016
    d08 likes this.
  3. d08

d08

Completely backwards here. Psychopaths would rather be extroverts as they thrive on being around people and preying on people - a psychopath can't ascend the corporate ladder if they don't have someone to blame for their own mistakes.

#23     May 3, 2016
  4. drcha

drcha

I don't see financial adviser, trader, or broker on the list.

One time years ago I worked for a company that was headed by a psychopath or narcissist (I never really knew him well enough to figure out which he was). He used to demote people. Not fire them, demote them. I think that is about as passive-aggressive as you can get. One time he made a guy move from his nice corner office to a lesser spot, just to rub it in. And there were always a lot of people on probation. On the floor/department below me, one-third of the employees were on probation. In my department of 9 people, 2 were on probation. So I think his management style was rubbing off on the people below him. Fortunately, my own boss was a peach. But I knew that my ability to avoid having bad stuff happen to me was a matter of luck, not ability. I was only there for a couple of years, but I used to keep an empty packing box in my office in case I would ever need to leave on short notice, voluntarily or otherwise..... In any case, the company ultimately went to hell in a handbasket. I am still kicking myself for not shorting their stock after I left. I could have made a bundle.

#24     May 3, 2016
  5. Q3D

Q3D

Autistics and psychopaths share many common and genetically determined behaviors. Autistics and psychopaths make up a large majority of corporations and the trading culture in general.

Therefore, traders and trading educators are more likely to suffer from autistic and psychopathic traits than the average person.

#25     May 4, 2016
  6. d08

d08

Couldn't be further from the truth.
    It's scary how little you know about the subject, yet speak with confidence.

Psychopaths manipulate, lie, lack any empathy and are very charming. Autistic people are opposite, unable to manipulate or lie and are almost never charming.
    Mildly autistic people could work certain powerful jobs as they can be very creative and ultra focused. Psychopaths have little to no skills, get a thrill from manipulating others and work their magic using that.

#26     May 4, 2016
    Simples likes this.
  7. qxr1011

qxr1011

the author apparently has never been in the army - that's were most psychopath are... you have to be in order to survive :cool:

#27     May 4, 2016
    d08 likes this.
  8. qxr1011

qxr1011

#28     May 5, 2016
  9. Simples

Simples

Before you go any further, you should check some facts:

1.086% of population have asperger

A more complex discussion of numbers for psychopaths

A good rule of thumb for both is 2%. The true conditions are very rare, very hard to quantify and does not describe each individual and their behaviours well anyways.

Please educate yourself on how these conditions works before trying to enlighten others.

Very "high" numbers for traders on the second link:

• 10% of people in the financial services industry are psychopaths
      Dr. Christopher Bayer, New York psychologist & psychoanalyst, Wall Street Psychologist

• 10% of Wall street employees are psychopaths
      Sherree DeCovny, Writer on CFA magazine
      As written in the March/April 2012 issue of the CFA magazine

But this doesn't give any meaning unless you know how diverse the true conditions are, what we know and don't know, how different psychopathy is from autism and how bad diagnosis describes each individual. If you believe there is a majority of psychopaths somewhere, look into psychopathic systems instead (upon which Western culture is built).

#29     May 6, 2016
  10. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Simples,

Do you think the reason for the high numbers on high wall street or the financial services is due to their shared backgrounds ?

For example, almost all of them are college graduates, many are not from poor families especially when you get into the management positions, many live (work) in an environment that money determines your value as a person and social status...

Thus, does money corrupt the mind and increases the chance to be psychopathic ?

Also, what impact does the "culture" (socialization and other environmental factors) of wall street has on someone's personality ?

Actually, I'm aware of the answer to the above 2nd question because of my own academic background in genetics and the studies of socialization and environmental factors although I have not been associated with genetics for almost 23 years. I'm just curious about your opinion on such.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    #30     May 6, 2016