Career decision

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by quintins, Sep 14, 2009.

1. quintins

quintins

I've recently been offered a couple of jobs for assistant/trainee trader with SIG, IMC and, on a different note, a cancer research group (as a senior researcher).

The cancer research group pays about the same as the base for the trading jobs and my skills are extremely valuable.

I was wondering how pay increases for places like SIG/IMC as a trader after a couple of years and if I ask, will they give me a realistic answer?

I'm *incredibly* interested in trading and would jump at the jobs if it weren't for this particular research job (world class team that has made huge *real* progress).

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. kxvid

kxvid

That cancer research job sounds like a really exciting opportunity. However if you are just after money...

There is probably more room for career advancement in trading if the cancer research job is strictly a salary based position. If as a cancer researcher you get a stake in any breakthroughs the group develops, there is more profit potential there if you get lucky.

3. quintins

quintins

Thanks for the reply :)

Not sure if you meant money or career advancement in terms of benefiting from the cancer research stuff. It's with a government institute, so definitely not in it for the money.

In terms of career advancement, the kind of stuff I do (data mining) is definitely where it's going so I can see a relatively stable, but not so much money, career in cancer research.

The other option is to do trading for a while and then move across.

To be honest, I'm not really sure how much traders in these sorts of companies make. I've heard anywhere from ~200k (incl bonuses) to 150k + 150-500 in bonuses. Not sure what's realistic :)

4. A prop group would hire a failed cancer researcher....

Would a cancer research center hire a failed trader...?

5. I think your question is already answered. You know you want to try trading, it appears to be a good passion, so go for it.

no regrets.

good luck as a trader.

late