Career as FX technical analyst/chartist

Discussion in 'Forex' started by faatshit, Dec 16, 2016.

1. faatshit

faatshit

Hi guys,

Would appreciate some advice from you guys regarding a job as a technical analyst/chartist.

I was previously from a prop firm but I left because I felt I could trade on my own albeit with a smaller amount of capital and less time required compared to day trading.

Do you guys have any inkling of an idea what's the career progression as a technical chartist/analyst?

The firm is a finance research house so they research a ton of markets and sell these info. firms i.e. banks/hedge funds/institutions/prop firms.

2. Maybe try being a barrista at sbux? Technical anslysis will get you nowhere in the real world.

3. drm7

drm7

Usually that falls into the "strategist" category at the big banks. Very few jobs available - you need a degree from a top school (with top grades) just to get into an entry-level position working for the "chief strategist." It would also help to get your CMT certification. It is debatable how valuable it is, but having letters after your name helps.

You will quickly realize that, on top of doing good analysis, you need sales skills. Most strategists spend their time traveling around the country making presentations to clients. The ones have had the most success haven't been the smartest or the most "right," but the ones who were the best at marketing.

VPhantom, faatshit and Southampton like this.
  4. NoBias

NoBias

Good god, Is Marketsurfer starting the "TA" debates again? Creating controversy all so he can shill his book?

It starts with bumping threads referring to himself in the 3rd person.

Now he is insulting people, suggesting someone get a job at Starbux inferring that they have no other value due to TA.

Makes one wonder how Marketsurfer/SouthHampon earns his money. Surely can't be from the one or two generic calls he makes averaging down into a position, taking massive heat on size, but never adding to his winning positions.

From previous posts it was my understanding he lost a large sum of his ex-wife's money trading. Sued her for Alimony. Lost more money trading his friends money who committed suicide. Now leaching off his wife's salary, kayak fishing and shilling some generic book he compiled from ET threads he trolled. Least we forget his $120 Nadex account.

Some nerve, suggesting someone isn't good enough to make it in the trading world and apply at starbuck's... Those that live in a glass house shouldn't throw stones....

@Baron I know it was a business decision to allow the previously Banned Marketsurfer back to post his dribble. He is going back to his old ways, won't take long before he pulls the site down again...

Money Trust, faatshit and wrbtrader like this.

5. Dude, you are acting like a fanatic. That is very uncool and untraderlike.

I NEVER said the guy can't make it as a trader. I suggested that knowing TA is not going to help him get a job in the real world. TA is the lowest common denominator in the real world. No one is going to hire a self professed TA expert, hence the $sbux comment.

Im sorry that reality hurts so much but regardless, no need to tell the lies above in an ill fated effort to save your dead religion.

Why don't you add some value by guiding this poor chap rather than your silly lies. Perhaps your friends at 72 or goldy will hire him. LMFAO!

Hampton

Zzzz1 likes this.
  6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Most of the individuals I know in Europe and a few in the U.S. have interned in college or soon after graduating college to begin their career as a technical analyst/chartist as some financial firm or research firm

You can easily look at the backgrounds of the TAs at the biggest organizations in the world...

https://www.sta-uk.org/ (aka STA)

IFTA member societies @ http://ifta.org/membership/member-societies/

https://www.mta.org/ (check out their journal archives @ https://www.mta.org/development/journal-of-technical-analysis/ and some of the biggest financial firms writing/editing the journals. There's many great articles there and enough contact info to allow you to contact some of these people for info about a career path)

I made a list of universities (top schools) here at ET about a year ago that actually "teach" trading and teach technical analysis. You'll see most of those professors also listed as members of the above links. Also, you'll see many of the members above working for some of the top financial firms in the world.

Don't know where you're at in college (if in college) but it could be worth talking (emailing) some of these people to learn more about their career path.

VPhantom likes this.

7. Name one accredited U.S. business school that teaches TA as a course.

No one is hiring "technical analysts" outside of marketing departments, if even.

If i am wrong, prove it by posting a few job listings for the position.

Thanks,

Hampton

Zzzz1 likes this.
  8. 777

It is great you want to be involved with the market and I would not discourage you from that. There are many ways to do this.

Since you write like a sincere fellow:

Please look into your heart and see if you really believe you are helping investors and traders with your "TA work". How much value if any will you really be giving the end consumer of your product?

faatshit, Southampton and wrbtrader like this.
  9. toc

toc

One needs to be advanced into coding in order to be a good valuable TA in an investment firm. Otherwise, like several have said above, TA is considered a light infantry on the battlefield of trading.

Fundamental Analysis has the value despite 90% of the fund managers not being able to beat the S&P 500. TA is much more efficient, valuable and logical IMHO than FA but is considered a voodoo art.

Wall Street has fake and hypocritical culture. TA guys are called Quants to make it look good in the $6000 suit and tuxedo gatherings.

10. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

translation:

"I was at a prop firm and totally sucked and lost money so I was fired and here I am, I want to bait even dumber people to trust my money losing advice". Awesome. Go for it, mate.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    #10     Dec 16, 2016