career as a trader over before it began?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ggoyal, Mar 10, 2007.

1. TM1

TM1

Sounds like a great opportunity to me, you do know that electronic trading on the Nymex runs from 6pm Sunday through 5pm Friday right?

#11     Mar 10, 2007
  2. Which broker allows you to trade the hang seng and the dax and any other foreign markets?

Thanks

#12     Mar 10, 2007
  3. If I read between the lines in your post it would seem you don't make enough money trading to justify not taking this job.

Therefore I have to ask what skills you have that you are so worried about not losing? If you had the skills to make good money trading, you wouldn't have taken the job.

And I gather that you don't have the cash to live on while you develop your trading skills. If you had, you wouldn't have taken the job.

The solution is pretty obvious isn't it? Come back when you have the money. The markets aren't going anywhere.

#13     Mar 10, 2007
  4. ggoyal

ggoyal

exactly. i will start when i have atleast 30K. should have that saved up since i live with my parents. i can save quite a bit. plus im sure of the skills as an energy trader could be applied to the equity market.

one more question guys, is there any broker where u can day trade chinese or indian stocks. also, where could i get information about them like we do about the US markets?

#14     Mar 10, 2007
  5. What is energy trading?

#15     Mar 10, 2007
  6. MattF

MattF

do the job and finish school...you can always leave it in 2-3 years after saving up enough (and for that matter reducing or eliminating any debts you've accrued already from your education)

How do you know specifically that you can't at least check in on the markets...do they prohibit/restrict computer use? Do you even have one available or access to one...

Don't know what you trade, but there's enough markets out there that you can check on your off hours...you may just need to start looking at and studying another one instead.

#16     Mar 11, 2007
  7. ggoyal

ggoyal

thanks for the reply. im lucky i dont have any debts. my parents paid for my education, etc.

i saw their computers at work and it seems that it only has the stuff related to the job. i dont think they will let me trade. why would they? im there to trade energy, not equity.

but i dont feel as bad now because i have had time to think about how to work things out. i posted this message as soon as i thought about it. i panicked.

thanks for the replies guys

#17     Mar 11, 2007
  8. I don't understand what you think you're going to learn clicking on quotes at work.

Studying the day's action after work might get you somewhere. But if you aren't trading for real, you're just listening to noise during the day.

I think your first test of being a trader is going to be exercising some discipline. Can you do your job during the day and ignore the markets and just concentrate on the markets after work? If not, you likely will be a bad trader and a bad employee.

Also, I think you sell the corporate life a little short. It is what you make it. If you don't strap yourself down in debt and are a good performer then the tables have turned and you aren't their slave. Trust me, the single guy who gets the job done and doesn't "need" his job has a lot of leverage. Been on both sides of that relationship. Remember the main character in Office Space and how he got promoted when he showed some independence? It is truer than you could imagine.

#18     Mar 11, 2007
  9. LOL! That was a funny scene. "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. "

To the OP:
    build some more equity first. Treat your savings each month as return on equity (ROE) - when you think you can make more in the markets than from your salary then you can consider full time trading.

In the meantime there is nothing to stop you position trading stocks, doing the homework each night and placing the orders at the open or 10:30 when you know the stock in question is moving. Hold for 3-6 days and move on to the next stock.

It's healthy that the corporate world scares you, a lot of it is insane.

#19     Mar 11, 2007
  10. As a cubicle-dwelling techie, OS is one of my favorites and a very under-rated movie imho.

"That...that's my stapler...may I have it back please...it's mine..."
    [​IMG]

#20     Mar 11, 2007