Career advice

Discussion in 'App Development' started by Aquarians, May 4, 2018.

1. >> Can I give you some advice, most people don't have even the faintest idea how life works, I suggest you tone down the narrative a bit, otherwise it normally causes you more issues than it solves

Thanks for the suggestion. On my 3'rd account here, I've been warned by Magna and Baron but so far they haven't cut me off, forcing me on a 4'th reincarnation :)

>> The deeper discussion is actually very simple, you just have to show you are happy with your life, everyone wants what they can't have, including employers.

Yeah, I know: https://goo.gl/images/LHM7Yc

I'm God, afterall.

#11     May 4, 2018
  2. Also drunk, which leads us to the definition of Catch 22. You cannot claim exception from The Rules of The Board, unless you file a Drunk exception. But a Drunk exception cannot be submitted but by the perpetrator if it's to be considered at all. Yet if the perpetrator does actually submit a Drunk exception, then he must not be so Drunk afterall, which invalidates the exception in the first place.

#12     May 4, 2018
  3. JSOP

JSOP

For every "1000 companies all doing that in my are", there are 100,000 traders if not more doing something even less specialized than what you have been doing for 10 or 20 years, just so you know. Just on this ET forum, we receive "quants/computer guy/analyst wanting to become traders" almost everyday. The posts all start the same way.

You want to become a trader, that's your choice but that road ain't easier or smoother. Good luck!

#13     May 4, 2018
  4. Cabin111

Cabin111

Feel like I'll get ripped, but I'll play the game. So you live in Eastern Europe, you have great skills in quant and IT. You went to a great college and may or may not have a degree. You also have an issue with alcohol and playing by the bosses rules. You are also running out of money...

How about getting into a 12 step program. Find out what problems "YOU" have. What are your issues. Then after you've worked the program, learn to become a happy minion. In a few years (when a company sees a changed attitude), you move up to mid management and retire more content. Have I missed something??

#14     May 4, 2018
  5. Here are examples of two highlighted possible career paths for someone with your skills.

The first one involves creating small business software that simplifies compliance of government over-regulation in some industries, such as home construction. Simply pulling a permit can involve over 30 forms involving local, state, and federal governments. Much of the information on these forms are redundant, require various calculations to be performed, and can benefit from a compliance checklist.

Many small business owners hate dealing with the "mindlessness" of dealing with these excessive regulations. A decent software product would save them time, aggravation, and possibly money through less chance of fines being levied for non-compliance.

One of the keys here is to research the industry and talk to business owners and employees to find out what issues they face and what they need to simplify their lives.

Annual pricing for this software product could be based on estimated hours saved times an hourly rate, say $20.00 per hour times number of permits typically pulled per year, say 12. An annual subscription would be appropiate as you would need to keep up with continual regulatory developments.

The other key would be marketing. In the building permit software example given, one might considering focusing in an active building state with heavy regulations such as Florida or California a a start.

The second idea involves corporate consulting. Many large companies, say fortune 1000 size, have significant productivity issues based on outdated management training, ineffective inter-departmental communication, and inefficient risk management strategies.

I see an effective corporate consultant as having broad-based business knowledge, an effective problem solving methodology, exceptional research skills, strong visualization skills, and excellent communication ability with a wide variety of personalities. And no, you don't have to be beyond CEO level on all these. Grin.

A lot of information about the issues a prospective company faces can be seen in their annual report and on their website. Follow up inquiries can be made with employees for the creation of a proposal for management.

I would focus on companies that are not performing well as compared to their competitors. For companies that have an CEO that has an accounting background, it is not unlikely he has broken the business model of a previously successful company.

Additional keys here are to understand the CEO's personality type and to explore gaining management level authority over certain issues.

Pricing your services would consider the realizeable productivity gain of employees and the monetary value of specific problems solved. Using a return(The recurring productivity gained) on investment(the money you are paid) of 100% in a year typically yields a price of $400.00 per employee per 1% of realizable productivity gained. This formula yields huge consulting fees that management will balk at paying, but this is where preparation, marketing, and negotiation comes in.

Your energy level of 25%, when focused, is probably more than double the input of average managers. To up your own energy levels further, find a way to safely excerise vigorously. Absent a serious medical condition, you may be able to obtain up to 70% of the energy level you had in your prime until your eighties.

Consider teaming up with some of your former competent co-workers. Best wishes to you and good luck.

#15     May 6, 2018
    fan27 likes this.
  6. Cabin111

Cabin111

I could see him/her doing the first one...You have something they want and need. Only requires the right sale to make $$. But on the second, you need to be understanding and caring. You need to be a good listener. You need a proven track record with proven companies. You could have great knowledge, but if you look like "comic book guy" from the Simpsons, no one will want to hitch their wagon to yours.
    You have to be very caring (or seem to be) and very concerned...

Only a few people can fake it...

#16     May 6, 2018
  7. @JSOP: that's one problem. One one hand, the world has no shortage of guys aspiring to "successful trader" outcome. On the other hand, I've only found a few such guys around here and none of them is close to even literacy when it comes to options trading (my specialty), so there's noone to talk to.

@Cabin111: I am a minion right now, just don't wanna make a career out of it.

@maximumpossiblesuffering: thanks for your suggestions. "Successful consulting" is a lot like "successful trader", an after-the-fact statament so the advice to become that is at best, recursive. How do you get contacts and contracts in order to become a successful consultant? Well, easy, all it takes is to be a successful consultant and you get them aplenty. I'll keep in mind the regulatory thing, as a plan C :)

So far I've spent =~ 12 years learning, experimenting, working with options. That's a path like going from kindergarden to high school graduate. Unless having serious problems (case when they wouldn't graduate high school anyways), a person is expected to be much more skilled and capable of productive work after high-school than in primary school, right?

Therefore I've zero incentive to throw away all the effort so far and start over again at kindergarden level in the vane hope that this time it'll play different. And the ignorant certainty that becoming competitive in some domain you're just entering doesn't take another 12 years before at least you have a chance against the existing incumbents. I'm not talking any guarrantees, just the chance of not being a kindergarden kid battling K1 wrestlers.

Staying focused on something while having a different job is just like actually learning something in school, in spite of all the useless shit you're required to do for a pass (wage). What I need to do now is invest more focus into what I already know, not less, or worst option, abandon all like some loser dropout.

#17     May 7, 2018