Career Advice

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by cfilipereis, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Hi, I have been working in a Brazilian branch o fa major top American bank, as Product Control manager, for the last 11 years.

I was offered an opportunity as a trader in a hedge fund which, currently has only one Research Analyst. The Hedge Fund manager is looking for someone who understand option and can create protective strategies so they can expand their position, by limit the downside risk.

As a controller, I have a operations view of the products, I do understand how they work and have worked closely to Equity Derivatives Sales team on building strategies to clients.

I am willing to accept this opportunity but I need to prepare myself and switch from controller to trader mindset. How should I prepare? Do I need to understand the mathematics deeply?? or should I learn by practice? what would you recommend?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2017
  2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

How big is this fund? Will they still be in business is 2 years?

3. Lee-

Lee-

This reminds me of a Groucho Marx quote.

You have to ask yourself about the longevity of a small hedge fund that is willing to hire someone in charge of protecting them via options strategies who asks if they need to know mathematics.

eusdaiki, tommcginnis and lindq like this.