Career advice needed for a starter.

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by independentCEO, Oct 27, 2005.

1. range

range

Two words -- EMERGING MARKETS.

You have experience living in an emerging market (and one which many funds are interested in since it could become part of the EU), you have experience living in NYC, and you have a great school on your resume. Of the 8,000 hedge funds in the US, 1,000 would love to talk to you if you want to become an emerging markets analyst. So would EM sell-side and EM buy side. If noone can pronounce your name when they see it in on your resume, that is worth more $$$ to you. I have two good friends who came to the US @ 20 years old from emerging market countries, both of whom have high paying jobs here now, working as emerging markets analysts. Get a job as an EM analyst. Good luck!

#21     Nov 2, 2005
  2. dac8555

dac8555

ummm..define high paying. I live in am emerging market....i would love to be highly paid!

#22     Nov 2, 2005

3. what are prop shops?
    http://www.enigmatradingservices.com/ are society like this an example of disaster for my resume? today i've been selected for an interview in milan by these guys ... they offer a 5 months training program after which I will be given the opportunity
    to become a proprietary trader, and my earnings will be based entirely on my
    performance ...

#23     Nov 7, 2005
  4. bwc

bwc

But isn't this the same with all businesses?
    Especially being a realtor?

Start a business from scratch and it still make money..? But isnt' trading a business. =)

Say, If you start a restuarant business (and you don't know much about cooking..you hired
    someone to).. who do you look for as a mentor? Mentors can come from various different
    sources..not just one. You can take it from different people and tweak to fit you. Bruce Lee
    had a 'mentor' who teaches him some wing chun martial arts.. But he also observed and
    studied American kick boxing..and some wrestling. He loved martial arts and fighting so
    much that he practiced everyday and decided to mesh those two together to and slowly
    tweak and created his own style -jeet kune do. So his 'mentor' only did so much. The rest
    is on his own... this is the same with trading.

I was wondering when you say profitable in 9 months, do you mean starting from scratch?
    Just curious.. not trying to flame or anything.

#24     Nov 10, 2005
  5. Cheese

Cheese

None.
    There is no way.
    Forget it.
    :)

#25     Nov 10, 2005
  6. n00b

n00b

how is working at a prop shop bad for your resume? Can anyone elaborate on that? I was close to working one the prop shops but decided not to.

Also, coming out fresh with an undergrad what would be the best way to get into the trading positions at big banks and other firms? Pure networking? or is there anythin else to it??

#26     Nov 13, 2005
  7. it often comes down to both WHO you know and WHAT you know. Connections are vitally important, the best jobs are not advertised. Your college alumni network is an excellent starting point or if you were in a fraternity, use that. Plan on making a lot of calls until you reach a guy willing to talk to you. Strike up a good relationship, see what he knows. And repeat......

Also, check the usual suspects, recruiters, websites, etc

#27     Nov 13, 2005