Career advice needed for a starter.

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by independentCEO, Oct 27, 2005.

1. optionmm

optionmm

I wouldn't recommend the floor as a long term career option, but there are still guys making a lot of money down there right now, and you can learn a lot from them.

The experience, especially before graduation, wouldn't hurt, and might help.

Not saying it's a long term career alternative.

#11     Oct 28, 2005
  2. jmh

jmh

what about guys who are looking to get into a good prop firm. i have been looking for sometime, and it is hard to make connections to quality firms, especially if you live in a place distant from the industry. i have had to travel to NY, IL, FL, to meet with people, and some of them wasted my time and money, but i did learn a few things. so if any of you out there can hook me up please do. would love to talk to some quality people.

#12     Oct 28, 2005
  3. In this forum, some people's attitute is a self explanation for why they have not been getting any help from here or did not get a qualified contact through their inter-state travels. I may not know much about trading, but I can give my humble advice regarding good interpersonal relationships and manners.

Can anyone tell me more about clerk positions at NYBOT or NYMEX? I checked their website but it looks like they are not hiring at the moment for clerk positions. Are there anyother opportunities like this one? Is it possible to become an apprentice to a veteran fund manager or an old trader?

I cannot get a loan because I do not have a co-signer or long enough credit history in the USA. I do not understand those industry standards regarding graduation requirements. I am good enough to get in to Columbia but not rich enough to finish it on time, that's all...

#13     Oct 28, 2005
  4. independant CEO

I'll tell you what

Your optiosn are limited now that I look for it

1) Work at home depot or some job to pay for your tutiton nightly

Continue school and then get a good job

2) Start a business from scratch
    businesses still make money you know, a lot. I have two I should know!

3) work a 2nd job on the weekends

4) trade for a prop and become completely homeless for the next 9-12 months :D

If you are lucky you may succeed, I would not bet on it, not because of you, but because its just hard .

5) pray for a mentor to teach you his liveliyhood in trading , then thank the lords!

While my posts are not to discourage you from trading, they are more on the safety side of LIFE, you do not want to end up unsuccessful in trading for 2-3 whole years ,and when you look at yourself you have just passed 26 years old heading outo 30 and still not in a good place , with no degree, too old for entry jobs, too young for exec jobs, basically dead zone because trading is hard as shit.

Of course if you want it bad enough, you will succceed, under no circumstances.
    I became profitable in trading in 9 months, from this year,
    My journal is around june -2005 , now its around october 2005

I don't rely on trading for money though which puts me in another different mindset. I trade purely from a investment standpoint. fk around money.

So if you REALLY want it, you will get it, nobody will stop you.

That should keep you in the know for awhile :)

#14     Oct 28, 2005
  5. dac8555

dac8555

where there is a will there is a way...colombia is great...60k aint. maybe a different school? finacial aid? I started a business a few years ago and worked at a bar at night to keep it going. You DO have to at least get a bachelors degree. If you are from a different coutry there may be some strage scolarship you can get for being a minority. Which country by the way? just curious..i live overseas. really...you are still young. I didnt get a decent job until i was 29. With a top college degree i was turned down by top firms for being a retail broker...and retial brokers arent anything special. had to go to a regional firm to be a broker...didnt last. stay away from prop shops...very few make it..those guys stay open by being the broker on the commissions of the traders..and it looks bad on a resume. DONT FRIGGIN GIVE UP. fight man...fight like a badger. to make it..you have to last. go get em,
    suerte.

#15     Nov 1, 2005
  6. Get a job with a work visa and study. Any job. The important thing is that you finance your way through college.

You can interview for trading positions through your career services in your senior year. The most important thing is to get any job that pays your education.

Also, since you are a junior now, it is recruiting season for internships. If you want to get a good job, you better land a good job for your internship, because that fequently leads you to a full time offer upon graduation.

Which country are you from?

#16     Nov 1, 2005
  7. agreed. since you are from columbia, avoid prop shops. they are a disaster on your resume.

#17     Nov 1, 2005
  8. I will have to work full-time so that I can keep afford going to columbia and to have my BA in Econ-Math. It will just make me graduate later than regularly planned. Since I will be getting a job, I am trying to get one related to what I want to built up my career around. I want to put something on my resume that can show not only why I went to college part-time but also can provide me with some adventage over other applicants as having more related experience beyond internships (Bartending would not do that, yet a trading assistant or broker accounting would).

I am not a type of person who will give up easy so, I would like to hear my options for getting trading related positions that are suitable for a resume prior to getting my BA degree.

By the way, I am from Turkey. Thank you all for your replies.

#18     Nov 2, 2005
  9. dac8555

dac8555

ya know, when i was a broker...all the big dogs with lots of cliets had assistants...basically secretaries with a series 7. some of them did allright. this is an 8-5...but maybe if there are night classes??? there is always some type of administrative gig in finance. pleanty of people who arent on the front lines...back office, crap like that. SURELY there is something out there. And, while you are there you can make the contacts for when you graduate.

#19     Nov 2, 2005
  10. optionmm

optionmm

You can sometimes find ads in the NYTimes, or even on Craigslist, for options clerks on the floor (NYMEX, NYBOT) in NY - working for locals. Not a bad job, learn a lot, etc.

#20     Nov 2, 2005