Career Advice - Let's Have Some Ideas

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by HardTimes, Apr 17, 2003.

1. HardTimes, you pose a question that many in this world face from time to time, "What to do with my life?" Here's my two cents:

You mention one career option of being a link between IT and a trading desk. I agree that your experience in the financial markets would come in very handy in that arena. Could you stand to support traders when you yourself was one?
    And following this plan would still keep you in the financial marketplace. Something you mentioned you wanted to get out of.

I would suggest looking long and hard at what you're currently doing for a living. Are you satisfied in every way...just money is the issue? Or if you were making money hand over fist...would you still feel somewhat unsatisfied with your career choice?

If money's the problem...look for ways to obtain additional income.

If money's not the problem and you want out...you've made a good start with your list of career options. Now start talking to people in those fields to see if those careers really interest you. Maybe visit some colleges and find out about their programs. The key is to start doing something instead of sitting back and wondering. Action begets action.

I guess that was more than two cents. Keep the change. :)

#11     Apr 19, 2003
  2. I believe a Pharm.D. typically takes around 4 years to complete =provided= one has the prereqs.

Regardless, I have heard that, due to the shortage in the profession and resulting increase in starting salaries, applications have skyrocketed to the point where all available seats are filled and the average acceptance rate has dropped to about 20%. So, even if one could get accepted, it's probably a good idea to take a hard look at what the demand might be four years hence.

#12     Apr 19, 2003
  3. Patch

Patch

IMHO unless you identify what you love doing, chances are you won't stick it out when it gets tough and therefore won't be happy.

Good example, how long do those who don't love trading stick it out. Have those who have not stuck it out ever been happy at trading? Answer = No

Before I decided to trade I read this book and it helped me clarify exactly what I wanted out of life and then helped me see that trading was compatible with that

The On purpose Person. by Kevin McCarthy

It is written in a bit of a lame way but the concepts are very powerfull.

http://www.alibris.com/search/searc...new=7.50&pqty=60&pqtynew=1&matches=60&qsort=r

Good luck

#13     Apr 19, 2003
  4. This is the best option among them, Synergy!

#14     Apr 19, 2003
  5. flexon sales rep!!!

#15     Apr 29, 2003
  6. gnome

gnome

Clever!!... I always keep in mind, "... money WON from the markets tastes better than a salary..."

In my past lives, I was a pool hustler, poker player, and professinal bowler... money TAKEN from the market is even better!!

#16     Apr 29, 2003
  7. How about teaching others to trade?

#17     Apr 29, 2003
  8. gms

gms

I don't know if it's still possible to get this done, but years ago I met a successful person who got into his business just because of this:

He took an aptitude test and found what things he would have a proclivity for. Then he went to work in a firm that did whatever he was good at, and one day became its president.

Whatever it is you decide, make sure its something you wouldn't mind being roused out of bed at 3:00 AM to do, because there'll be days like that.

#18     Apr 29, 2003
  9. does anyone have any experience of starting their own broker/dealer or know anything about it or anyone who has ever tried, or know anywhere to get info... possibly starting one w/ just funds and annuities, etc.. just seris 6 stuff no 7 trades....
    tia for any input

#19     May 1, 2003