Career Advice: Here are my trading results

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Brian Diesel, Dec 18, 2006.

1. "Good" traders are a dime a dozen.

But what's "good" and what's lucky? It may be hard to tell the diff.

One way is longevity over many different market conditions. And I'd say any trader that made spectacular returns, could easily make even more spectacular losses.

It's all about risk. I don't trust anybody but myself. :p

Example - Here is a "good" trader:

Calgary trader, 32, among world's best

Brian Hunter

Canada's top-earning trader doesn't work on Toronto's Bay Street or for one of the big banks. Instead, he rocks the world's natural-gas markets from his hometown of Calgary, according to the just-released Trader Monthly ranking of best-paid traders.

Brian Hunter, 32, raked in an estimated US$75-million to US$100-million in 2005, good for a share of 29th spot in Trader Monthly's annual ranking. Mr. Hunter generated US$800-million in profit for his employer, Amaranth Group Inc., making him one of the world's top natural-gas traders, the magazine reported.

Small wonder Amaranth agreed when Mr. Hunter decided he wanted to leave the New York area and return to his home and native land. Amaranth opened an office in Calgary for Mr. Hunter and his team, according to Trader Monthly.

According to Sparkspread.com, which tracks the energy-trading business, Mr. Hunter and Amaranth profited from laying down the right bets when Hurricane Katrina created big price gains in energy markets. Those caught on the wrong side of the trades when Katrina hit suffered huge losses.

By some estimates there are more than 400 hedge funds trying to play the energy-trading game now, a fourfold increase in recent years, as money managers look for ways to diversify away from the stock market and add to earnings. Hedge funds feed on markets that quickly swing up and down, and energy markets are among the most volatile.

Investment banks have also joined the fray. Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and Morgan Stanley each make more than US$1-billion a year from commodity trading, which includes buying and selling of energy, according to Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. analyst Brad Hintz.

Sparkspread.com reported demand for commodity traders is so hot, rival hedge fund SAC Capital tried to hire Mr. Hunter with an offer to pay up front his estimated yearly bonus of US$10-million.

Mr. Hunter did not return a message seeking comment.

#21     Dec 19, 2006
  2. Nick Lesson used to make some spectacular profits for Barrings... and we all know how that turned out...

#22     Dec 19, 2006
  3. your trading history is valuable in so far as it show interest and aptitude in the markets which makes for a nice CV when combined with your degree etc.

however, i suspect it will not be of any direct benefit in terms of joining a HF or IB. to take you on as a ready-made trader, as others have already said, they would likely require stellar performances - not slightly better / worse than the benchmark. bottom line is that whoever takes you on would be teaching you their style from the ground up anyway - not relying on your current strategies. this is an entry level style position for which interest and intelligence is needed (looks like you have this), but not vast trading experience.

good luck in your career

#23     Dec 19, 2006
  4. Thank you Rhino. That is exactly what I am looking for. As I said, I taught myself to trade and have made a little bit of money from it. All I would really like is the chance to go somewhere and learn.

#24     Dec 19, 2006
  5. Unless independently audited... your results are not verifiable.

No serious business person is gonna spend many hours...
    Studying your statements to "verify" anything.

Just pointing out...
    That if you are embarking on a career in the business world...
    The sooner you start doing things is a business-like way the better.
    (There are NO excuse for being ameteurish for as long as possible).

As for your results...

If you are stock picking or making a few 100 trades/year...
    Then 99% LUCK... toss in garbage.

If you are employing some kind of well-hedged, computerized "risk arbitrage" strategy...
    And are doing 1000s of trades/year... then most likely SKILL...
    And many firms looking for you

#25     Dec 19, 2006