Career Advice/Help

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by sabunabu, Nov 3, 2005.

1. sabunabu

sabunabu

Not sure if this is the proper place to post but I am looking for any advice.

I graduated from a top university in May 2004 with an accounting degree. I am currently working in Chicago as an analyst with a large financial firm but I'm on the individual investor side. I would like to be on the institutional side but not sure how to get there. I know getting an MBA from a top notch school would be the easiest route but the best schools want 5 yrs. of working experience.

I am not completely sure what I want to do but I know that I don't want to be on the individual investor side of anything! Part of me wants to trade but I know this is somewhat unrealistic. I was more thinking of going into real estate investing or research (and get my CFA-- which I would like the company to pay for).

Where would be a good firm to start? I feel my current firm is too big and I'm lost in the woods-- not to mention that I'm in the bs side of the firm.

Thanks for all your help.

2. Not to sound trite, but honestly, most jobs are gotten through networking.
    Since you went to a good school, I am sure you have successful alumni that could help open doors for you. Contact your alumni office at your school and explain your situation to them.

Also, financial recruiters have good jobs sometimes, but they only go to resumes like yourselves (you are lucky here) so ask around for good recruiters..

3. sabunabu

sabunabu

Who would you consider good recruiters? The big ones like Robert Half? Ajilon (sp?)? I'm not sure where to find a good recruiter as I've never used one before but have heard of them.

I always thought that the job searcher had to pay for recruiters until I was recently informed otherwise.

Again, thanks for your help.

4. I would seek out more specialized ones (financial only). They get better jobs I think. As for as chicago, I have no idea of specifics.

I would start with your alumni though. Could be the best way to get advice and connections at the same time.

Or family friends, etc.