Career Advice for a Financial Engineering Grad Student/Former Trader

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by FETrader, Sep 12, 2006.

1. FETrader

FETrader

Hello,

Longtime reader, first-time poster. I’d like to solicit some career advice from the board. I realize people ask for advice all the time and it can be annoying, but I’m genuinely stumped with my career and would love to hear some opinions. I’ll be as brief as possible.

I’m 30 years old, college grad, no kids/wife/commitments, etc. I spent the first part of my career in consulting and then decided to try trading. I spent the next 2 years prop trading. While I loved trading like nothing else I’ve ever done, I never really got past survival mode and was ultimately forced to get a ‘real’ job due to financial pressure/constraints. I had some success trading, but ultimately didn’t learn what I needed to be successful fast enough.

I’m now at IIT (Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago) for a Master’s in Financial Markets with a concentration in Financial Engineering. I have another 1.5 – 2 years until I graduate.

I’ve been trying to get a job in the trading world doing just about anything that will help me build toward the future and learn. I’ve applied for trading jobs, trading assistant jobs, trade execution desk jobs, clerk jobs, etc, but haven’t had any responses. I’m committed to this industry and to trading, but seem to be stuck.

Aside from just sitting tight, studying, and waiting until I have my FE degree to get back into the industry, does anyone have any advice/opinions/suggestions? I’ve always believed that if what you’re doing isn’t working, you should seek advice and try a smarter approach.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Consulting? Was it IT? If so, focus on getting an IT job with some type of financial firm and leave the trading alone. Don't try to weasel your way into trading later on if such an offer comes about.