Card to support 4 monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Agassi, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Agassi

Agassi

#21     Dec 26, 2013
  2. Agassi

Agassi

3. Agassi

Agassi

Are these 2 cards same?

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Profesion...xpress+x16+Low+Profile+Workstation+Video+Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133371

The one on newegg says "low profile" but one on amazon does not.

I have these monitors

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S27C5...d=1388090260&sr=8-1&keywords=Samsung+S27C500H
    Samsung S27C500H

So before I buy 3 cards from amazon, just wanted to make sure that I am making an informed decision. Monitors resolution is: 1,920 x 1,080 pixels.

So if i were to buy that card from newegg which says "low profile" should i be concerned?

#23     Dec 26, 2013
  4. Dart

Dart

If you are running that low of resolution, 1920x1080, you could also opt for usb video dongles, they 60 or so bucks for 2 displays each, up to a maximum of six displays via usb. The way I calculate it is cost per video output, so about $30 per output with usb, vs other options.

As an alternative, you could get a displayport hub and a card with displayport. Those cards can power six displays on one card with the hub. Should be pretty good performance compared with usb, but more costly, about $55 per output. Though the outputs may support higher resolutions too for upgrading to bigger screens later.

As for low profile, that's just the little metal piece for mounting it. It may come with both. If you look on amazon it says "Low profile form factor: Yes" under the description. Newegg includes both mounting pieces, it's in the product photo.

#24     Dec 26, 2013
  5. "Low profile" refers to the height of the card. That is, a low profile card will fit into a Slim Form Factor (SFF) case as well in a full-height case. However, a "full height" card often is too tall to fit into a SFF case.

If you don't want to buy on eBay, the Amazon cards look like just what you need... better price than Newegg.

#25     Dec 26, 2013
  6. Dart

Dart

Note the amazon card isn't sold by amazon, but a third party seller, so be wary.

The slim form factor card will fit a regular case, but not with the slim form factor mount on it, that mount is an inch or so shorter from end to end vertically on the mounting piece. So make sure they include full form factor mounts, which you have to screw onto the card if it came pre-fitted with the slim form factor mount (not how they usually come).

#26     Dec 26, 2013
  7. Personally, I take my chances on eBay. Only once did I get a card that didn't work, and the seller replaced it quickly. (Highly unlikely that an eBay seller with hundreds/thousands of feed backs and a 99-100% rating is ever going to hose a buyer.)

As for warranty... if you buy used and it works properly, you're likely good to go for longer than the new card warranty period anyway. NVS cards are quite durable and reliable. (I've had only one NVS fail that was "in service"... that was just recently... after about 10 years of using various NVS models on multiple machines.)

#27     Dec 26, 2013
  8. Dart

Dart

What he said :)

And yeah, video cards are generally pretty hardy. I had a card I ran without a fan for years, tiny heatsink, was so hot you could you could literally get a burn from the heatsink, and it never had a kink or problem running like that. I gamed on it too. I figured when it died I'd buy a new card, and it never did. Video cards are just hardcore sometimes.

Cards with big heavy heatsinks sometimes take damage though, if dropped or whacked. Like the kind with heat pipes. I'd buy that kind new just to be on the safe side, never know.

#28     Dec 26, 2013
  9. Amazing.

Nvidia states "80-90C on their cards is no problem".

#29     Dec 26, 2013
  10. Dart

Dart

Tiny fans die so fast on those cards, it must have died in like 3 months.

#30     Dec 26, 2013