Carbon Emission Futures?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by LacesOut, Mar 3, 2017.

1. LacesOut

LacesOut

WTF is that??
    Anyone trading this?
    What's the story?

2. java

java

Co2 is invisible
    So that makes it a good futures contract.

3. Overnight

Overnight

Weather is also quite nebulous, and you can trade it. Doesn't make it a good contract to try to trade. :)

4. Overnight

Overnight

OK Mr. Surf. So how much volume are you finding in trading "carbons"? Are you making money doing it through a regulated exchange?

http://www.cmegroup.com/tools-information/lookups/advisories/ser/SER-7491.pdf

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/ene...rplus-sm-futures_contract_specifications.html

Is anyone, anywhere, actually trading this stuff?

5. i960

i960

Yes and we're not trading it on CME. Carbon futures are traded as ECF on ICE Europe.

6. Overnight

Overnight

Can you provide some links to volume, volatility and profitability? Is there price action "over there"?

7. We were invested in several carbon funds back in 2006--2009 era that both farmed, produced and traded credits. I believe the UN purchased them. Etc. i have not followed the business since that time. But it was real hot at the time. If i recall, we lost money with this idea.

surf

8. Overnight

Overnight

Thank you for promoting the idea that we COULD make money on something from 10 years ago, that you lost money on, that no longer exists. So we'd need a WayBack machine to replicate your failures. Way to go! That's the spirit of positivity traders need! Thanks a ton to suggest that we trade something you lost money on, because it was hot 10 years ago!

9. How do I promote carbon trading? Im not following and think you are reading your own biases into my words.

In addition, for a bit more educational value, i believe most everything we traded was off-exchange. I don't think the exchange ever caught on since the kyoto protocol was never ratified in the US as it was expected to be.

surf

#10     Mar 4, 2017