Car for girlfriend's kid brother, which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Slartibartfast, Oct 25, 2018.

Which car for a young man?

1. 180HP VW Jetta 1.8 Turbo

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. 160HP Alfa Romeo Mito

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. My GF's kid brother was very sick with an immuno disease for three years. He soldiered on, kept his job amazingly and never complained. He is finally over it and in the pink.

His 27th birthday is coming up and I figured I'd get him a car as he needs to impress the ladies. He can drive very well but was not able to on his meds the past two years. My GF said he would be embarrassed at a new one so his loss she is his sister really ;)

I have a contact who has these for near the same price but I can't decide as I like both!

This area of Colombia is mountanous, lots of up and down, endless curves so great for driving.

So maybe you guys can break the tie?

2011 180HP VW Jetta 1.8 Turbo (Manual)

upload_2018-10-25_22-2-52.png

2011 168HP Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4 Multiair (a lot lighter, also Manual)

upload_2018-10-25_22-9-27.png

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  2. Wallet

Wallet

Jetta's at one time were incredibly safe, crash tests. Haven't researched in a while.

27 should be out of the dangerous kid driver issues.

Slartibartfast likes this.
  3. Yes, he is very adult. They have equivalent (5 star) accident safety which is important. I also wanted no tinted front window which is common here. Looks cool but when it rains at night..

Both are five seats.

4. d08

d08

Alfas look great...as they sit on the side of the road waiting for tow. So, the VW it is. I'd go Japanese or Korean but that's just me.

vanzandt and Slartibartfast like this.
  5. Most feel that way, I had two and never had an issue other than bleeding clutches a couple of times, my GF currently has a new Gulietta. The options are a little limited here in Korean/Japanese. At least quick cars which I know he wants.

When I got my first Alfa, a Brera, the girls paid attention more as it was a car they wanted to drive themselves. The VW is very male and solid so practical. Choice noted and thanks.

6. Solved, I had a friend of his at work scope him out saying he was looking at a car for himself and was curious about his sister's Gulietta.

He wants an Alfa for sure, I'll see if a Gulietta is about. They have the same engines but four doors and looking at an acceleration test, only a tiny bit slower for the 2010-2012 models.

Swap out the stereo for an Android powered screen and it will look the business.

7. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

I would go with the VW Jetta from the safety and reliability perspective.

Most of the people I know who have owned Alfa Romeo's had it in the shop constantly. Maybe they have improved over time - someone would need to research the latest reliability info.

Slartibartfast likes this.
  8. They are a lot better TBH and they are both five star crash test cars. The Jetta above is pre-facelift as VW to get more competitive had to take 7k+ off the price and arguably took it out of the build.

I do like both however the Jetta is way more common. Alfa is Fiat and we have dealers in Medellin so parts etc. not an issue.

I went to Alfa Romeo mechanical University a little with my two, noughties models and while I was tweaking suspension squeaks and such things like four wheel alignments are strong preventative medicine. 80 bucks a year maybe for 4WA and a different car.

I have of course fixed near anything including trucks when I had to around the world. He can learn, too much programming is bad for him :)

But to be fair, my two noughties models never sat down, well one time I had to bleed the clutch in the rain on a Friday evening but that is nothing.

Look at the Gulietta (back doors are hidden)

upload_2018-10-26_10-39-18.png

upload_2018-10-26_10-39-43.png

The lad's future girlfriend(s) deserves to be seen in one. haha.

Actually there is only 1k in the difference on price, I am surprised. Maybe the cloverleaf wheels will be more. Also looking at reviews, the Mito headlights suck a bit at night, the Gulietta does not have that problem.

9. Why not let him decide?

10. I did, couple of posts up starts with Solved.

It is a birthday surprise though so I used indirect means through a friend of his.

My car connected buddy tracked down a sweet and bigger Julietta with four doors to be more social. Similar to a Mazda 2 which are everywhere but of course less beautiful.

Here transferring ownership is a long messy process he has to be involved in as the driver /owner. Also unbeknownst to me they changed the rules so I must do frikkin 30 hours of theory and 20 practical to get a Colombian licence now I have residency.

3 hours a day for two weeks of unintelligible Spanish. Had I not decided to be nice and buy him a car I would be blissful on my EU licence and just paid a fine or never ever got caught. Kindness always has a cost haha. But insurance might be dicey.

Anyway we just need to find a hot girl wearing a bikini and giant bow to drive it to the table and step out of it. Classy like. ;)

I will do the shopping for her myself. Though I say GF we are civil partnership, I'm with the family for the long haul so I have to show my good taste with the best objectified female I can find. A good 'Natalie' as all the best ones are called Natalie.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    #10     Oct 27, 2018
    Frederick Foresight likes this.