Captain's log. Stardate 12345.6 point 7

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Buzzed, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Buzzed

Buzzed

Captain's log. Stardate 9372.3.69.7

I decided to keep things simple and trade VG once again today. I have concluded that VG would experience some sort of uptrend in the morning beyond the usual morning spike, since the previous day ended with a gain.

With this optimism, I placed my laundry into the recycler, ordered a fresh glass of orange juice from the replicator, and remote beamed to the captain's chair just before the opening bell.

VG opened 7 cents below the previous close at $2.46. With this lower price, I could now afford to trade 850 shares today. I fired my order of $2.48 @ 9:30:46. Seeing the price movement, I quickly modified my order to $2.47 @ 9:31:15, it filled at 9:32:32.

The easy part was over. I targeted 3 cents above my fill and fired off $2.50 @ 9:32:57. All I had to do now is wait to claim this victory. Easier said than done.

The price started to move up, as that happoned, in my head I was more confident that my order price would be filled, and if that happoned, a higher price would follow. 3 cents wasn't enough. I modified my order to $2.51 @ 9:33:56, and the price went up again. I reacted again by modifying my order to $2.52 @ 9:32:32, and then to $2.53 @ 9:37:15.

At this point I figured 6 cents was more than enough. Don't get greedy. The price was $2.51, only 2 cents away, surely I would get it filled.

The price went up to $2.52. I could almost taste victory. My instincts looked like they would serve me well once again.

Then the tide of battle changed. The price dropped to $2.51, then $2.50. Was this the end of the morning price spike or was this just a momentary pause in the trend?

There was a key difference this morning compared to monday morning. This morning started out in the red. Monday started out in the green. The volume was lower. Most likely because the other ships didn't pick up a price gain on their sensor sweeps so fewer showed up to battle in this sector.

I decided I got too greedy. I promised myself last night before going to bed that I wouldn't get greedy. I didn't listen to my own rule. Now I am paying the price. I had to act fast.

I got back onto my weapons console and began to modify my order to $2.50, but as I was doing so, the price jumped back up to $2.51. Perhaps I was right. Perhaps this was just a pause in the uptrend. Still I had to be safe, I ended up modifying my order to $2.52 @ 9:38:42. I still felt I could come out with a decent profit from this.

Then the price dropped again. I was beginning to fear the worst. I better jump ahead of this price drop. I modified my order to $2.50 @ 9:40:13, the price dropped again. Again I modified my order to keep up with the price drop to $2.49 @ 9:41:29.

U.S.S. Noob. She was living up to it's name. I needed to get out before it was too late. I finally modified my order one last time to $2.48 @ 9:41:52. Almost immediately I got filled.

Relief. I was stupid today. I let greed and fear rule over me. I was warned this would happon. If I just stuck with my initial 3 cent order, I would have come out successful. But now I am left with just a $2.60 profit today.

I am lucky. Now I am to set course once again to the grocery planet Econo 9, where I will spend my day thinking about the lessons I learned as I prepare a fresh batch of egg custard for the humans.

#11     Jun 24, 2010