Capitulation or Freefall back to 2008? Maverick Trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Widdison, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Widdison

Widdison

In all of my years of trading, one of the consistent treats that we could always seem to bank on was capitulation, because when the market was selling off hard, we could take some nice short positions, and then use the bottom as a great opportunity to build into a nice bullish stance. However, I can't help but to notice that this market environment seems to be different from those I've encountered in the past. Something about this doesn't feel like capitulation. The VIX didn't behave typically. There are so many more question marks, globally than there have been in the past, and even when you listen to so-called experts, there doesn't seem to be a very clear idea of what to expect from early speculators. The market has been ignoring both bad and good news for the most part until now. Now it seems that all of the build-up in Europe and the U.S. debt issues and slowing of emerging markets has left everyone staring blankly and waiting so see whether the sheep are going to leap of the cliffs or head up the hill to find shelter on higher ground. I just wanted some feedback from you to see what you think and why. I appreciate the comments.