CAPITALISM: I used to think the Republican side was clearly better...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rearden Metal, Sep 2, 2003.

1. :D LMAO

Thx for the tip on the insurance, but I am actually individual BCBS as well...I pay about $500 more than you per year, with zero deductible (I gots seasonal allergies and those pills/allergist appts aren't cheap)...

For $70/month though, I would probably sit down and calculate how much the allergy stuff would actually cost me out of pocket...

Back to the repubs -- Fox news seems obsessed with promoting Dean and mauling Kerry. Interesting stuff...

#41     Sep 3, 2003

2. Kerry would obviously present a better challenge to Bush in the presidentials but it doesn't look like he'll win their candidacy. Fox sure seems determined to make sure he doesn't.

#42     Sep 3, 2003
  3. maxpi

maxpi

What does this moron know? A team of teenagers and a bomb maker can plan and pull off this kind of shit.

#43     Sep 3, 2003
  4. D'ya think?? Fox is already comparing Dean to Dukakis. I don't remember much about Dukakis, but he ran against Bush Sr in the height of GOP-sponsored cold war propoganda, so he didn't have much of a chance. This time, however, in 2000, the country was coming off of 8 years of happy times, security, and wealth when Dubya very unexpectedly "won" the election. Whether he really won or not is really only an issue since nobody thought such an imbecile could really ever win.

And it didn't take Dubya very long to prove us right about him, so I'm wondering if Dean's popularity (go to time.com and take the poll about whether Dean will win the D nomination -- when I took it yesterday, over 60% of voters -- there were over 15k voters so far -- expected Dean to get the nomination) is partly a backlash against Bush, who many people basically see as the antichrist, and partly a continuation of Americans' wishes to resume the happy times of the Clinton era.

#44     Sep 4, 2003
  5. Yeah, he's popular with Democrats, especially far left Democrats, doubt about it. But the thing is they're the ones making most noise about him right now. Works great for nomination, not so well for the election because I think Dean's considered too much of a "lefty" for the general population.

#45     Sep 4, 2003
  6. cable

cable

Apparently the American System is bogged down with massively duplicated effort, which the Canadian system lacks due to central control. Harvard Medical School finds the Canadian System more efficient. Googled it for you.

Not that ANYBODY'S got the "Holy Grail" of medical systems...

My new philosophy: Everybody's equally f*cked. It seems to apply to every situation quite well, as long as you're not a zealot one way or the other.

#46     Sep 4, 2003
  7. Yeah, I totally agree with you there...I remember learning in high school that the extremists always get the nomination but the centrists get elected. No doubt Dean will need a solid running mate. I'd recommend an IBanker with a military background as Dean's VP.

But let's not forget, however, that GWB ran claiming to be the compassionate conservative, the real down to earth guy, the non-politician, etc. and that helped him get elected. All of this would work in Dean's favor, but the reality is that the neocons are going to paint Dean as a pussy, as they did Dukakis...luckily, Dean doesn't have a Willy Horton in his closet (wasn't that the guy Dukakis parolled??)

...I doubt the average paranoid American will have the balls to vote for someone who isn't a cowboy (read: chickenhawk), but then again, there isn't much we can do about that! :D

#47     Sep 4, 2003
  8. stat·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sttzm)
    n.
    The practice or doctrine of giving a centralized government control over economic planning and policy.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash5.htm

Report Finds Size Of Government Up Sharply Under Bush
    Thu Sep 04 2003 12:53:44 ET

The Bush Administration has brought the era of big government back, say a Brookings Institution scholar and a growing number of conservatives dismayed about such growth under the Republicans' watch.

The Wall Street Journal on Thursday reports:

"While the number of official government employees declined slightly after President Bush took office, the Brookings study to be released Friday finds the number of full-time employees working on government contracts and grants has zoomed by more than one million people since 1999, bringing the overall head count to more than 12.1 million as of this past October."

The "eight-page report is likely to fuel debate about the administration's approach, at a time when budget deficits are ballooning and Mr. Bush is pressuring Democrats to hold down federal spending." The report "finds that the growth is happening entirely outside traditional civil-service hiring channels.

'The Bush administration is overseeing a vast expansion of the largely hidden federal work force of contractors and grantees,' according to the report, written by Paul Light, who directs the Center for Public Service at Brookings, a nonpartisan think tank."

#48     Sep 4, 2003
  9. Readen,

You are depressing me. Another worrisome factor will be who replaces Cheney as VP, and as a result will have the inside track to the '08 nomination. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a push to get Cheney to stay on to avoid this issue.

#49     Sep 5, 2003
  10. If they were smart they'd run Condy Rice as VP, with intention of an '08 Rice presidential run. There's no way she could lose (except maybe to Hillary). Republicans/conservatives would vote for her on ideological grounds, while blacks in the big urban centers would be tempted to vote Republican for the first time in their lives.

#50     Sep 5, 2003