CAPITALISM: I used to think the Republican side was clearly better...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rearden Metal, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Wow, this gal's got power! She's even allowed to invent her own words!

There were few here more opposed to the war in Iraq than me, but I've got to say that that article sure could use a bit of hardcore debunking.

Just one thing though, is she the left's answer to Anne Coulter, or is Anne Coulter the right's answer to Maureen Dowd (this all started before my time, you see)? Actually, who's got time to listen to cranks like Dowd anyway? (Or Kristof or any other op/ed charalatans, especially the Times variety?)

#31     Sep 3, 2003

2. That is the same dilemma I find myself faced with each day.

It seems to me that a broader solution to the problem, involving less compromise (although it seems like a much greater compromise) would be to move to the European system.

But first, there needs to be soft money reform. That is where things need to begin. I could spend hours on this, but I think the problem is pretty obvious. Republicans with integrity, like McCain (although he was a true asswipe in the 80's with the S&L problems), realize that this is where things need to start. I think that McCain would have been a president with integrity, albeit integrity found relatively late in life.

As for this:

Empire of Novices

The Bush "dream team" is making the impetuous Clinton look like Rommel.

I was thinking back to the Clinton era the other day, and truth is, Clinton really wasn't as great as we all (those of us who liked him, anyway) thought he was. It's just that in retro, he seems like a god compared to the little boy running the show right now. The GWB regime is like the mafia, with the older relatives in charge from a nice secret villa somewhere, and a well-guarded, big-mouthed frontman who people seem to trust to make deals with the public (although whenever I see him on TV I want to vomit).

And back to the voting issue, I would like to see who ends up getting the D nomination, and vote accordingly. I don't know that much about Dean, and I have always liked Gephardt. I hate Lieberman. I think he was a total limpdick during the Gore campaign (probably since he knew he could still be senator if he lost VP) and I have been abhorred by his support of the war. I think his judgment of the Middle East is somewhat clouded.

I have mixed feelings about socialized healthcare. Frankly, I am against it. Canada's healthcare system actually sucks, and I think the issue with health insurance should be limiting damages from malpractice lawsuits (tort reform?) and increased regulation of insurance companies by the government. Not that I want healthcare to be run at all by the government, but I think that the insurance companies have way too much power in performing what has become an ESSENTIAL role they have in American society. But again, this insurance co. issue would be resolved by soft money reform, simply by weakening their lobby and limiting the financial motivations of politicians in their pockets. I also think that hospitals need to be regulated further in terms of what they can charge inpatients. You know, no more $6 Tylenol pills, when I can go to Sam's club and get generic Tylenol for less than a dime a pill. There's a lot of fat that can be trimmed from hospitals and lawyers, and I say let the cutting begin.

If there were to be socialized healthcare in the US, I think that the only policy available should be an emergency policy available to anyone at a reasonable cost. Say you're a 30 year old healthy male, as many of us are. You get sick maybe once every two years, maybe bronchitis or an ear infection or something like that, which would cost you maybe $200-300 out of pocket to fix between the doctor and pills. Well, that's less than 2 months insurance premium for most of us, and why the fuck should we pay $2000-3000/year to save $300? The only thing we're worried about is if we get cancer or get run over (both extremely unlikely) so why can't we pay $50/month and only be insured for something like that? Getting run over could easily force someone into bankruptcy if they don't have insurance. Bankruptcy will end up costing the "system" just as much in the long run.

#32     Sep 3, 2003
  3. trdrmac

trdrmac

Bung,

The idea of an emergency policy available to the self employed or uninsured would be a sound social policy in my mind. I think NJ has something like this, but the cost is out of control.

Currently I have had Mutual of Omaha which is leaving the market for individuals. So after 7 years of no claims I am being left without coverage. If I had developed a condition leaving me uninsurable during that time I would be screwed under the current system.

On the other side, I know of several people who are trapped at jobs because they have developed (or had) serious health problems. And on the other side of that I recently read an article about a manager who was faced with the decision of firing one of these employees.

Of course they could always rob a convenience store, get caught, get free healthcare, do some jailtime and still be ahead of the game if they get really ill. So it is not as if there are not options.

All things being equal I would rather just pay $1k or so and fund my basic healthcare needs myself, but this is increasingly hard.

#33     Sep 3, 2003
  4. Yeah, the real issue is giving yourself a limit to financial liability in the event of a serious health crisis, like a health disaster stop loss, where you'd pay out of pocket for typical, minor health costs that typically would braely scratch your deductible, such as sinus infections, broken leg, etc. but would not have to worry about getting nailed to the tune of 50 grand should you get run over and require a hospital stay.

Of course, there always is HIPAA and COBRA, but that can be quite expensive from what a recently unemployed friend tells me.

A nurse friend told me that her husband got nervous during a physical once, had either high blood pressure or a weird pulse, and now cannot get individual health insurance. The guy normally has neither condition; he just gets nervous around doctors. Shit, who doesn't...

Actually, in the near future, I am going to start a thread on how NOT to get screwed by health insurance companies as an individual. I think it would be extremely valuable to the self-employed such as us to be very careful what we tell health insurers...

For example, I may or may not have sleep apnia, but I am NOT going to go on the record to find out, since I've been told that it is a big no-no with health insurers.

I mean, fuck them. They play their game, and we can play it, too.

#34     Sep 3, 2003
  5. trdrmac

trdrmac

Could not agree more. Prior to 2000 I managed a hospital business office, and before that did consulting for numerous healthcare providers.

Not to turn this into a healthcare form but I did some work on a claim where a patient was admitted from another facility because she was suicidal. The insurance company authorized the admission but after they stay was over denied the claim on the basis that she had been previously treated for depression.

The hospital became liable for a claim that should have been paid for by the carrier. This is not legal, and I was eventually able to get the claim paid, but that is a huge cost that all providers endure. And the bottom line profit maker becomes people like you and I who pay for all of this out of pocket.

Add this to Cost Report fraud, outlier fraud, liability fraud and patient's that use ERs for sore throats and you get a $10 aspirin right quick.

#35     Sep 3, 2003
  6. Bung...emergency/major treatment only medical DOES exist...and not from the government.

I pay $1,200/year for a Blue Cross policy with a $2,500 deductible. This covers all the nightmare run over by a car/ dying of cancer scenarios, costs less, and limits paperwork.

#36     Sep 3, 2003
  7. trdrmac

trdrmac

Rearden, this is the option I am thinking about most NC has a 5000k Deductible for $70 per month. But if you are not insurable it is not an option. There is no real stop-gap for people that can and will pay but may not be healthy. (Such as a diabetic controlled by diet)

By the way, where are you that it's 9:29 pm, or are you posting from a time machine? Where are tomorrow's futures:)

#37     Sep 3, 2003
  8. ges

ges

I have to agree. This guy is no dummy. The neo-cons have gone beserk and are drunk with power. They are stepping in it left and right.

g

#38     Sep 3, 2003
  9. check out medical savings accounts, similar to what rearden is speaking of, but with lower cost and higher deductibles offset by savings account.

best,

surfer

#39     Sep 3, 2003
  10. Yeah, I've found a magical wormhole into tommorow.

I guess I should share some of the news headlines from here, Thursday Sep 4, 2003.

Suicide Bombing Rocks Jerusalem, IDF lauches raids, killing Hamas leader.

Two U.S. soldiers killed in Felugah Iraq by enemy fire, another wounded in a seperate bombing attack.

Massive explosion rocks India/Indonesia/Russia/Saudi Arabia/Nigeria/Morocco/ Tanzania/ Kenya/ Macedonia/Yemen/ Philipines/ Serbia/ Algeria. Islamic militants suspected, United Nations condemns Israel.

Rumsfeld/Ashcroft/Ridge warns that Al-Quaida may strike again. American civil liberties mauled by new directive, for our own protection.

Disgruntled worker opens fire at his former workplace in (state blurry), kills seven.

Robert Downey Jr. arrested on drug charges.

NBA/NFL athelete charged with violent felony. Teamates, coach & fans shocked.

RuPaul, Pee Wee Herman & Air Bud enter California gubenatorial race.
    ____
    Hope this helps.

#40     Sep 3, 2003