Cap and trade 219-212

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wjk, Jun 26, 2009.

1. I would almost welcome a trade war with China. They depend on us like a pup on a nipple. The US could get the products China imports from almost any other region.

#31     Jun 28, 2009
  2. Illum

Illum

I agree, the people do deserve it. No uproar at the government take overs. Boggles my mind.

I just caught an article saying they will forgive student loans of government workers after ten years. And they will cap the payments until then, so you don't pay too much. I guess working for Soviets pays.

#32     Jun 28, 2009
  3. We have a dangerous symbiotic relationship with them. They buy our bonds. If they stop, welcome to 20% interest rates.

#33     Jun 28, 2009
  4. achilles28

achilles28

Agreed. I'd like to see this bill die in Senate, but I doubt it.

Have you given any thought to the grant-component of the legislation? Some 85% of all carbon "credits" will be gifted by the Federal Government, to *select* Corporations. Every else has to pay dearly, on the domestic or international exchanges for co2 allowances to operate....

If thats not picking winners and losers, I don't know what is.

The Federal Reserve Bill is even worse. The bill proposes the Fed (a private Corporation owned by large Banks and American/European Dynastic Families), will hold authority that supersedes Congress to regulate every industry AND company in the United States. The largest Private Banks writing the rules for not just themselves, but their competition, and everyone else!??!

This is Mussolini Fascism = Corporations BECOME Government.

This is it, man. The Bankers will engineer a housing-type crisis every 2 or 3 years until competition has been wiped out and they hold all the cards.

I can't believe the magnitude of the legislation, and there's nary a peep of curiosity, no less outrage, from so-called "elite" traders.

Congress has proposed legislation to empower the same Private Bankers that brought us the housing crash - Citi, JP Morgan, Goldman, BoA - the authority to effectively shut-down their competitors, and enforce whatever political, economic and social agenda they want on the United States via regulatory power NOT EVEN CONGRESS CAN CHALLENGE?!?!?

WTF is going on?!?!??

This is extremely, extremely, extremely dangerous.

We have the Constitution, for a reason.

We have a separation of powers, for a reason.

We have an accountable, broad, diffuse group of lawmakers, for a reason.

Andrew Jackson, Thomas Jefferson and George Washington fought these bastards, for a reason.

The Fed Bill throws everything out - checks and balances, divisions of Government, temperance and caution - and hands it all over to Private Bankers who have a long and distinguished track record of creating bubbles (for their profit) they later crash that Take The COUNTRY DOWN WITH IT.....

If that Bill goes through, America will no longer be a Constitutional Republic. It will become a Plutocratic Dictatorship with no more than the hollow veneer of a Third-World Banana Republic - where elections, representatives and the Will of the People MEAN NOTHING.

We're right on the edge.

#34     Jun 29, 2009
  5. jem

jem

the are enabling our government to spend and expand. Making for more government workers and more people dependent on hand outs.

If the fricken republicans had half a backbone we would not allow this crap to go on with china.

#35     Jun 29, 2009
  6. The GOP didn't seem to mind when they had a majority in Congress under much of Bush's reign as President.

In regards to China, they did nothing.

Bush and the GOP Congress never challenged China's manipulation of its currency, its subsidized exports, or their tariffs on imports.

#36     Jun 29, 2009
  7. Yep.

They are gonna grant "credits" for FREE to select industries such as coal fired utilities, chemical companies, big oil, auto manufacturers, etc.

A group that feels that it isn't gonna get enough "credits" for FREE would be the refiners.

"ConocoPhillips, for example, said this week that U.S. refiners would bear the cost for one-third of all carbon emissions, while the American Petroleum Institute, an industry trade group, estimates closer to 44 percent.

The government would allocate just 2 percent of the emission allowance permits to the refining industry. The cost of buying all those extra permits would get passed on to motorists, making cap-and-trade a thinly disguised gasoline tax."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/steffy/6436213.html

#37     Jun 29, 2009