Cant republicans reverse the damage?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Dec 20, 2009.

1. If Healthcare passes, cant the majoirty Republican congress and president in the future undo it by reversing the whole thing and whatever else gets passed?

2. M Jared

M Jared

It will be a long time before republicans control the white house,the house and senate.They probably never will imo

3. slacker

slacker

No, they cannot reverse the damage.

Once a small percentage of people start getting 'free' health care; taking it away is almost impossible.

The Dems will say, "The Republicans want to take away health care from grandma..." It becomes another failed entitlement until the entire system fails.

Sorry, no going back.

When Ed Kotch was voted out of office in N.Y. someone asked him what he thought and he said, "The people have spoken and now they must be punished."

It will not take long, the impact of this decision will be visible within 5 years. Maybe sooner, headlines today include "China: The world does not have Money to buy more US Treasuries'. Where is this new $2.5 Trillion going to come from? At some tipping point the economy just stops. LTCM in 1998 almost crashed the world market with a fraction of the amounts being discussed today for Stimulus and Health Care.

4. damage? this bill has been watered down with corporate giveaways to the point that if george bush were still in office he would sign it.

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2009/12/bill-moyers-taibbi-and-kuttner-on-health-care-reform/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/chi-health-lobbyists_bddec20,0,5453763,print.story

5. M Jared

M Jared

I don't know about that vhehn

I support a stronger bill with the public option,there is something in the bill very similar to the public option

When the Senate and the house combines their bills other things can be added during the merging process and the senate only needs 51 votes to pass I believe.

i just learned of this and if the public option is added during the merging process the Democrats are fucking geniuses as nobody saw it coming

6. i hope it is improved but i cant support a mandate without a public option. that gives insurance companies a license to rape.

7. M Jared

M Jared

"At its core, the legislation would create a new insurance exchange where consumers could shop for affordable coverage that complied with new federal guidelines."

"In place of a government-run insurance option, the estimated 30 million Americans purchasing coverage through new insurance exchanges would have the option of signing up for national plans overseen by the same office that manages health coverage for federal employees and members of Congress."

8. I heard one Repub Senator make the comment, "... presuming this bill passes, we'll run in '10, on the platform of repealing it..."

As the services of the plan won't kick in until 2013 or 2014 (though the costs will start in 2010), it seems possible. Could they get a big enough of a majority to repeal is another question.

9. kut2k2

kut2k2

The Senate filibuster has completely perverted the legislative process of the US Congress. It allows a minority to effectively control what if anything gets passed.

10. Truer words were never spoken. Sadly, the people that still support this administration suffer from both battered wife and stockholm syndromes.

#10     Dec 21, 2009