Cant Remove Flat Tire on Alloy Wheel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by estrader, Dec 10, 2005.

1. I have alloy wheels on my car. I have been trying to replace my flat tire, but the wheel won't come off. I have unscrewed the 6 bolts (lugs) that hold it. Then I tried to pull the wheel off, but it does not budge. Instructions on how to change a flat don't say anything more than just unscrewing the 6 bolts. Does any on know what am I missing in this.

2. I drive a 1990 Plymouth Voyager with simulated wood grain siding...What are alloy wheels?

3. nice car...bet thats expensive...do you trade? Yahoo is not very busy tonight? I am going to ET to see if those folks over there are posting.

4. It is not expensive. I work.

5. I didn't notice you at McDonalds...are you working as the cook?

6. Take a break.

7. Choad

Choad

Do you live in a coastal area or a cold winter area where they salt the roads?

I'm thinking that perhaps salt corrosion is sticking the wheels to the studs. You might try spraying WD-40 or Liquid Wrench into the bolt holes and then slowly try to work them off.

Might also VERY CAREFULLY, and with a heavy RUBBER hammer, try to bump the wheels off by hitting them from under the car.

Don't use too much force or you could easily f*ck up those alloy rims (might be better to use a piece of 2X4 to protect them too)!

8. Yep. Where I live we literally walk on salt, especially now that is snowed. I was not sure if I needed to do something in addition to unscrewing the lugs. Hitting it with a hammer crossed my mind. I will try it tomorrow first thing. Thanks.

9. lfkc60a

lfkc60a

Kick the wheel right near the bottom where it meets the tire hard. Just dont kick it hard enough for the car to fall off the jack.

#10     Dec 10, 2005