Can't get filled on Short side ETF

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by trader60611, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Ebo

Ebo

Natalie:
    This guy is not worthy of help.
    He is keeping both his broker and trading instrument a BIG SECRET. I spoke to a contact in "stock Loan" about this last week at a "Large Shop" and he said it may take one or two calls......but every listed ETF can be borrowed. If this guy trades at a bucket shop he may not be able to borrow the shares readily.

ebo

#11     Jul 29, 2003
  2. Thanks Ebo

Yeah. I'm inclined to agree. My kindness will only extend so far and it doesn't include being someone elses unpaid secretary and ordered around!!!

Best

Natalie

#12     Jul 29, 2003
  3. Instuments are:
    TTH (avg vol 94,000 shares)
    OIH (average volume, 1,730,000 sh)

The broker is a well-known broker with a top ranking on this site. I like them and I don't want to be thought of as unduly criticising them. I am just wondering if someone knows how I can reliably short ETFs

#13     Jul 29, 2003
  4. qazmax

qazmax

Brokers usually connect to a network of places that pool together the ability to borrow stock.

Right now the QQQs (even though they are extremely liquid) are very hard to borrow. Many brokers will borrow from in-house customers when this borrow fails, but they of course the supply of stock is limited to the customers of the firm. So the bigger the firm the easier it is to short hard to borrow stocks.

:)

#14     Jul 30, 2003
  5. Could you fetch me a cup of coffee -- and please, hold all my calls until 1:00 PST. Run along now:p :p

dog

#15     Jul 30, 2003
  6. yeah - sure. Only if you want to wear it. :p :p

Best

Natalie

#16     Jul 30, 2003