Can't eat gold

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by John_Doe, Aug 27, 2011.

1. John_Doe

John_Doe

And that's the whole miscommunication between gold bears and gold bulls, the bears always chart gold against the USD because they treat it only as a commodity as it isn't legal tender, the bulls look at the same chart the other way around and see the USD against gold because when it takes too many dollars to buy the basic necessities people will use gold as an medium of exchange even if it isn't legal tender. Only difference now is before people would carry barrels of cash to buy a loaf of bread but with technology a barrel of cash can be replaced with plastic cards.

#11     Aug 28, 2011
  2. tortoise

tortoise

50 years ago, my parents bought their house in a very well-known and decidedly upscale Boston suburb for $26,000. Today, the house would bring about $1 million.

50 years ago, that $26,000 worked out to about 743 ounces of gold.

Today's $1,000,000 works out to about 550 ounces of gold.

So, by the "gold standard," the value of my parents' house has declined by a bit more than 25% over the past half century.

#12     Aug 28, 2011
  3. Why did you choose manhattan, the most expensive place in the country? Only 1/2 of 1% of the country lives there. 99.5% of the country live in cheaper locations.

50 years ago (1961) the median home price for the whole country was $12,500 or 357 oz of gold. Today 357 oz of gold will get you $653,000.

I dont know what median home prices were in manhattan in 1961, but im sure they were higher than normal prices. That said, the average home price in manhattan as of January 2011 is $840k. Its a good bet that whatever paid for real estate in manhattan in 1961, if you bought an equal amount of gold, the gold would've outperformed.

Oh and also....You cant eat real estate. Just wanted to add that for the OP.

#13     Aug 28, 2011
  4. sle

sle

In that case, why not choose S&P 500 instead? Similar returns, similar sharpe rate.

I will ask again - why gold? what makes gold a "currency" of choice, why not palladium, diamonds or some rare sea shells?

PS. and you are wrong about the manhattan real estate, it appreciated way more then gold, even accounting for the recent decline.

#14     Aug 28, 2011
  5. tortoise

tortoise

I'd love to see some data on that. NYTimes says current average residential real estate assessment in Manhattan is $1.3 million, or roughly 720 ounces of gold.

Anybody know what the average price was in 1961?

#15     Aug 28, 2011
  6. rros

rros

Too much intellect. Buy on April 2012 on low and ride the parabola for the subsequent 3 quarters.

#16     Aug 28, 2011
  7. John_Doe

John_Doe

Those can all be used as a medium of exchange as it depends if the seller is willing to accept them. Like how some retailers take visa but not mastercard. The sentiment now is that if the dollar implodes people are storing their wealth in gold and silver so what makes it a good currency is the amount of people willing to accept it.

#17     Aug 28, 2011
  8. gold = sun worship
    silver = moon worship

if you want to ask why gold has been money for millenia you have to go back to our real roots.

right now people are just starting to recognize gold as a currency again, silver doesn't get nearly the respect. what do you think silver will be worth when we start describing it as money again? my guess is a sub 5:1 silver:gold ratio will hit in the next 20 years at some point, so if you are truly a long term gold bull, do yourself a favor and get some silver instead until the ratio drops like a rock.

#18     Aug 28, 2011
  9. The same amount of gold will buy you the same amount of bread today as it would have for Jesus.

#19     Aug 28, 2011
  10. tortoise

tortoise

You're overlooking productivity gains and their impact on value

#20     Aug 28, 2011